« Cookie and the Geese | Main | Better »

For A Gentleman

October 29, 2008

A few years ago, I wrote an entry for our dear friend, Mister Phil, who had just been diagnosed with cancer. And I asked everyone to leave comments wishing him well, and almost 300 people were kind enough to send him their best. And slowly, he got better, beat his cancer, and we were all thankful that he'd made it through.

Very recently, though, the cancer came back. And Phil went through chemo and radiation, and all of those awful things you do when you have cancer. Up until the end of September, it looked like he'd beaten it again. But unfortunately, the cancer kept spreading, and even though he fought hard, it just kept getting worse. So, three weeks ago, Phil decided he'd had enough of that, thank you, and went home to spend his remaining time with his family and friends, so he could say good bye to everyone on his own terms, like the true gentleman he always was.

Phil died at home last week. He left behind his beautiful wife, my Aunt Rie (who STILL turns bright red when I talk about anything remotely scandalous, but loves me anyway) and two wonderful sons, who are like my brothers, only without the spitting and pinching. He was my Daddy's best friend, a surrogate father to my sister and me, and a dear, kind friend to pretty much everyone we knew.

Phil's funeral was Monday, and my father gave a beautiful eulogy, where he talked about Phil's many talents and their various Manly adventures. Then my parents held a wake immediately afterward at their house. And let me tell you right now that if you die, you would like for my parents to hold your wake, because turns out, regardless of the situation, these are people who can throw a party. Seriously, both the police AND the fire department came. To...the wake. In peace-keeping capacity. Because, we are a people who say good bye in style. And our style is apparently both "loud" and "with a tendency to create a teensy traffic problem, as well as major fire hazards."

But, so. We got to say good bye. But Mister Phil loved my website and read it often (by which I mean three times a year, when I actually...update it; LISTEN, I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW, and I really AM trying here, but clearly, things have been a bit sad and busy lately)(See paragraphs 1 - this one.) But, given that, and given that so many of y'all know Mister Phil, either in person or just through years of my own rambling, I couldn't come back here and write about my silly little adventures without first paying tribute to a wonderful gentleman with such a kind soul, who loved his people, and who left all of us much too early.

I'm glad I had a Mister Phil in my life. I'm glad the Sasquatch Senator got to meet him, and that we were lucky enough to be there when he took his last boat ride in August, back when we didn't know that he wouldn't be getting better. I'm glad he left all of us with so many happy memories, and I'm glad that he got to say goodbye to the people he loved. But even though I'm glad for all of that, I'm still sad as hell that he's gone.

I'm sorry that this entry isn't funny or light and is...totally a bummer, actually, but it was important to me. And not to worry; I've got a few happy entries ready to post (or..."happy," in a manner of relatively speaking. They involve my Adventures, which included bodily fluids that were not my own, in a city where I was nearly killed repeatedly, but we'll get into that shortly), and I also have a ton of pictures of my adorable Senator-Who-Still-Doesn't-Have-A-Name, and I'll post all of these in the next few days. But it just seemed more appropriate to do this first, and to honor someone I've loved and admired for most of my life.

So, I'll be back in the next few days with tales of the debauchery that is my daily existence. But in the meantime, if you get a chance, please say a quick prayer or think a kind thought for Mister Phil and his family. The world was a gentler place while he was here.

mrphil.jpg

And, good bye, Mister Phil. I hope your heaven is filled with mountain streams, starry nights, and brown liquor. We will always remember you.

Posted by doxie in Times I Fell Down | permalink

my thoughts are with you and your family. i am sorry for your loss.

Posted by: heather | October 29, 2008 11:39 AM

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Erin | October 29, 2008 11:43 AM

It's a lovely remembrance that you've written. Goodbye Mr. Phil and God bless!

Posted by: Linda260 | October 29, 2008 11:50 AM

Prayer said. Sorrow shared.

Posted by: Gary | October 29, 2008 11:53 AM

So sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Stacy | October 29, 2008 11:56 AM

What a great tribute, Miss Doxie. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Kristen | October 29, 2008 12:02 PM

Very sorry for you and you familiy's loss.

Posted by: anya | October 29, 2008 12:04 PM

Aw sweetie - I am so, so sorry for your loss. It's obvious that Mister Phil was much loved.

Posted by: catherino | October 29, 2008 12:05 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

Posted by: anya | October 29, 2008 12:05 PM

Sob!! I didn't know you, Mr. Phil, but your loss is felt throughout the world.

Posted by: Gretchen | October 29, 2008 12:12 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss - he sounds like he was a really special guy.

Posted by: jive turkey | October 29, 2008 12:13 PM

Hi - Sorry for you and your family's loss. Phil sounds like a fantastic person who enriched the lives of everyone who knew him. My prayers go out to his family.

Posted by: Scott | October 29, 2008 12:17 PM

Oh! Mister Phil! Why'd you have to get me all attached to him? It sounds like I am one of many, and for good reason.

Posted by: June | October 29, 2008 12:34 PM

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: Barbara | October 29, 2008 12:34 PM

So sorry for your loss. You and your family are certainly in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: Page | October 29, 2008 12:39 PM

I am very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with your family.

Posted by: Jane | October 29, 2008 12:49 PM

Am praying for y'all.

Posted by: Cruella | October 29, 2008 12:52 PM

Oh, Leigh. I am SO sorry. Tony & I will be thinking of you and praying for you. We already had been since I knew somethng was terribly wrong that you'd not updated in a long while.

Loss bites. Let su support you through this time, ok?

Hugs, love & blessings,

Melissa O in DC, Tony the excellent husband and Lucy the Doxie Diva

Posted by: Melissa O in DC | October 29, 2008 12:57 PM

Loss bites. Let su support you through this time, ok?

Hugs, love & blessings,

Melissa O in DC, Tony the excellent husband and Lucy the Doxie Diva

Posted by: Melissa O in DC | October 29, 2008 12:57 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your uncle sounded like a great person.

Posted by: andrea | October 29, 2008 01:04 PM

I wish I could have met Mr. Phil. Everyone should know a kind and gentle soul like him. I'm terribly sorry for you and your familiy's loss.

Posted by: Lori | October 29, 2008 01:19 PM

Goodbye Mister Phil. And hugs to you Leigh. So sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Liz | October 29, 2008 02:10 PM

I'm sorry for you, Miss.
Thanks for remembering him here.

Posted by: Kyla Bea | October 29, 2008 02:14 PM

Oh, Leigh. My thoughts are with y'all.

Posted by: Ky Eliza | October 29, 2008 02:26 PM

what a wonderful tribute. my thoughts are with you.

Posted by: sunShine | October 29, 2008 03:04 PM

Sounds like Mister Phil was a class act. Good vibes being sent to his family.

Posted by: Sara | October 29, 2008 03:57 PM

Leigh, I am so sorry to hear about Mister Phil, if he loved boats and fishing, then I'm sure my dad met him at heavens gate to show him the fishing spots. God Bless you Mister Phil and your family.

Posted by: Kelly from St. Louis | October 29, 2008 04:23 PM

Sending prayers up for Mr. Phils family and friends.

Posted by: karla | October 29, 2008 04:46 PM

I am so sorry, Leigh. I remember that three years ago, time it goes by too fast.

Thinking of you and sending you lots of love.

Posted by: Emily | October 29, 2008 04:47 PM

Godspeed Mister Phil. So sorry for your loss Miss Doxie.

Posted by: lindsayc | October 29, 2008 04:51 PM

Awww. I've known a few Mister Phils that have come and gone through my life, and this entry just makes me remember them even more.
I'm glad he left you with such happy memories, and that you haven't been exploded by geese and/or highways. (Even if I did lose the betting pool.)

Posted by: Iggeh | October 29, 2008 05:01 PM

Godspeed Mister Phil. So sorry for your loss Miss Doxie.

Posted by: lindsayc | October 29, 2008 05:04 PM

My thoughts are with you & my prayers are with Mr. Phil.

Posted by: Evie | October 29, 2008 05:04 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, Leigh. Your family and Phil's family are in my thoughts and prayers.

(P.S. I'm sure Phil would appreciate a post that involves LOTS of near-death. And pictures. And possibly mistaken identities. Natch.)

Posted by: Mir | October 29, 2008 05:38 PM

First - so sorry Leigh...hugs

and then

Second - FUCK CANCER!

Posted by: Scottsdale Girl | October 29, 2008 05:49 PM

So sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Celia | October 29, 2008 05:53 PM

I will stipulate in my will that your parents are to hold my wake.

In the meantime, Mr. Phil, you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Posted by: Holley | October 29, 2008 06:13 PM

Sounds Just like Mr. Phil... You are a wonderful person and so glad we share the love for Mr. Phil and Aunt Rie!! OHh and what a PARTY!!

Posted by: Chelsea | October 29, 2008 06:46 PM

I'm thinking of Mr Phil and his family now. Hope you're doing okay. Hugs.

Posted by: Angela | October 29, 2008 06:51 PM

Mr Phil sounds like a wonderful person. Thank you for sharing this with us. Remember we your anonymous internet fans are with you in good and bad times, girl! Take care. Can't wait to hear your latest adventures.

Posted by: Magda | October 29, 2008 06:59 PM

That was really beautiful. I hope your parents hold my wake.

Posted by: victoria | October 29, 2008 07:01 PM

...99% of these say "I'm sorry for your loss."
So, what the fuck.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Really, though, I feel your pain, and I hope that you're not sad for too terribly long.

Posted by: Lily | October 29, 2008 07:01 PM

...99% of these say "I'm sorry for your loss."
So, what the fuck.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Lily | October 29, 2008 07:01 PM

He looks something like my ex! Only your Phil was loads more handsome, and I bet he was a whole lot sweeter.
Bless you Aunt Rie You are in our thoughts.

(and welcome back,Miss D)

Posted by: deb | October 29, 2008 07:31 PM

I'm sorry for your loss but so glad for your family and friends' happy memories of Mister Phil.

Big hug,
j

Posted by: canknitian | October 29, 2008 07:58 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry. *hug*

Posted by: Tasha | October 29, 2008 08:13 PM

I came here hoping to find a post, and have already one glass of wine, and Mr Phil sent me to tears. Sorry you lost your friend Doxie...my warmest regards and prayers to your and Mr. Phil's family. Cancer sucks!

Posted by: Casey | October 29, 2008 08:18 PM

Wishing Mr. Phil "tight-lines and big bites" at the great fishing hole in the sky.

You take care of yourself too!

Posted by: Mit | October 29, 2008 08:37 PM

That's a beautiful tribute

Posted by: thesnackhound | October 29, 2008 08:49 PM

Rest in Peace, Mr. Phil.

Posted by: Ree (the Other one) | October 29, 2008 09:02 PM

Sending love...

Posted by: Victoria | October 29, 2008 09:14 PM

What a beautiful tribute. I am sorry for your loss, the Afterlife sounds like it'll be a better place once Mister Phil gets there. Love and Healing to you and yours.

Posted by: Glizzer | October 29, 2008 09:59 PM

Sending thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. That was a beautiful tribute.

Posted by: suz | October 29, 2008 10:08 PM

Aw, he looks like a sweetie. And I'm sorry for the sadness for you and Aunt Rie et al., and (to paraphrase Holly of Nothing But Bonfires) you know Phil is up having a great time rockin' the house with Heath Ledger, et al.

And I'm glad to hear from you, and please do officially dub your sweetie Senator Sasquatch, because honestly it sounds truer than true. Love, and P.S. PHILLIES ROCK. (Sorry. You can take the girl out of Philadelphia, but you can't take Philadelphia out of the girl.)

Posted by: Gretchen | October 29, 2008 10:12 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Phil's family and all who love him.

Posted by: Jammer | October 29, 2008 10:25 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. You've written a beautiful tribute, and I'm sure Mr. Phil appreciates reading it while he sips his brown liquor beside a mountain stream.

Posted by: Cara | October 29, 2008 10:32 PM

Godspeed, Mr. Phil. Everyone should be so lucky to have one of you.

Posted by: Jessica | October 29, 2008 11:20 PM

***hugs*** I lost my grandmother at the end of August. She had Alzheimer's and stroke-related dementia. Almost all of my family attended the funeral and I got to know some of my cousins again (hadn't seen 1 in 15 years - not since our grandfather died). Almost all of us are adults now. And we all drink. And man, do we know how to throw a wake too! lol! must be that Scottish blood in us! :D It was a really great time and it helped a lot - a lot of bonding and releasing of the crap from the last 4 years. And we played beer darts. ;D I highly suggest playing it at your next party!

Posted by: Jacquie | October 29, 2008 11:51 PM

A lovely tribute to your uncle. I am so sorry for your loss.

Posted by: carrie | October 30, 2008 12:25 AM

Lovely post -- I bet Mr. Phil would have been thrilled to know that he got a sendoff from both the cops and the fire dept.

Posted by: WendyB | October 30, 2008 12:31 AM

For someone to leave such a great impact on you and those around you is phenomenal. That was definitely a tribute I'm sure he would appreciate. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Posted by: Charmarie | October 30, 2008 02:44 AM

I am sorry for your family's loss, and hope that the wake your parents had is only a fraction of what Phil has found on the other side.

Posted by: Boulder | October 30, 2008 06:54 AM

I heard someone say recently that when you think of someone for no apparent reason, it's because they may be going through a tough time and they need your good thoughts. Well, I randomly thought of you the other day - which is strange of course because we don't actually know each other, but I often find myself thinking of other bloggers like I know them in real life pretty often so I guess I'm just a weirdo. So now I know why Miss Doxie popped into my head! (Other than that I was hoping you'd post soon because you're my favorite writer in the whole blogosphere.) How sad...

I wish I had gotten to know Mister Phil myself - he sounds like a wonderful man. You were clearly lucky to have him in your life! If there's some sort of afterlife (which I hope there is because that would be totally awesome), I'm sure Phil is reading this and is extremely touched.

Posted by: Liberal Banana | October 30, 2008 07:54 AM

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. We lost my dad to cancer in July and he was such a special, sweet person, like Mr. Phil. I know the pain you're going through and I can only say that it does get better, although every now and then it returns to wallop you upside the head and turn you to mush.

Your virtual family out here loves you and is thinking about you.

Posted by: desifink | October 30, 2008 07:56 AM

Godspeed Mr. Phil. Prayers in progress.

I'm going to need the wake planning guide your mom and dad used. It sounds just like what I want for myself. A bunch of idiot friends of mine that sometimes have a drink or seven have decided we're going to write our own obits - we are nothing if not bossy, controlling, etc. women. So we want to be certain we'll get in the last word. So now I'm thinking right after the last word - someone should put the fire department and police folks on standby. It's exactly the kind of send off I've been thinking about. Note to self: be sure someone remembers to alert the media.

Posted by: J-Mo | October 30, 2008 08:12 AM

God bless Mr Phil x x

Posted by: kerry | October 30, 2008 08:57 AM

bye mister phil.

Posted by: m | October 30, 2008 09:12 AM

bye mister phil.

Posted by: m | October 30, 2008 09:12 AM

Phil was very loved, and I'm so glad that you all sent him out in such style. Wishing him, and you all, well.

Posted by: Alice | October 30, 2008 09:44 AM

Cancer is a bitch. I don't pray but I will be sending lots of kind thoughts and energy you and mr. phil's way! Awesome about the police and fire men too, sounds like Mr. Phil went out in style!

Posted by: Jen | October 30, 2008 10:03 AM

thank you for such a beautiful entry. we loved him so. mal(7) and james(5) were both sad when i told them about his passing. james asked if he was in heaven with his pop and i said most certainly. we will all miss him.

Posted by: Ann H. E. | October 30, 2008 10:05 AM

Best wishes to you and the Mr. Phil family during a sad and difficult time.

Posted by: Christina | October 30, 2008 10:12 AM

That was a lovely entry. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Carley | October 30, 2008 11:14 AM

So sorry for your loss, Doxie.

Posted by: Sunwiggie | October 30, 2008 01:33 PM

So sorry for your loss, Doxie.

Posted by: Sunwiggie | October 30, 2008 01:34 PM

Aw, I'm sorry, Miss Doxie. I'll bet you and your family brought as much joy to Mr. Phil as he brought to you.

I hope Aunt Rie and their sons find strength in their memories of him.

Posted by: dgm | October 30, 2008 01:57 PM

I'm very sorry for the loss of someone who was clearly very special. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Posted by: Paula | October 30, 2008 02:58 PM

So so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking about you all. It's so hard to lose the ones we love. :(

Posted by: Aimee | October 30, 2008 04:05 PM

What a beautiful post! My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Posted by: Gotham Girl | October 30, 2008 04:23 PM

So, sorry for your loss, Miss Doxie and Mr. Phil's family and loved ones.

Posted by: Jennifer Z. | October 30, 2008 04:46 PM

Leigh, your post on Mister Phil is lovely. You captured his personality and warmth with your words. It was wonderful for Craig and I to see how beautiful you and Elizabeth have grown up. Your mom and dad are still the gracious and loving couple I remember them to be. Many blessings coming your way!

Posted by: Lynn Waldron | October 30, 2008 07:18 PM

My sincerest condolences... to you, your family, and Mister Phil's family. Cancer sucks.

Posted by: bleachusd | October 30, 2008 07:57 PM

Liegh, Hugs to you and your family. A glass of fine wine raised in tribute to a fine man.

Posted by: Meemers | October 30, 2008 11:38 PM

So very sorry to hear this - you wrote a beautiful tribute to Mr. Phil. It brought me to tears. Thinking of you and your family.

Posted by: Mauigirl | October 31, 2008 12:31 AM

Oh Leigh........

So very sorry for your loss, and Mister Phil's Family,

I will hold you all in thoughts and prayers,

jp

Posted by: jp | October 31, 2008 07:05 AM

Beautifully written and a wonderful tribute to Mister Phil. So sorry for your loss and sending ju ju to you and your family.

Posted by: Diane | October 31, 2008 09:57 AM

Leigh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I can tell by the picture you posted that he was a man of intelligence, strength, character and - certainly important to any friend of yours - humor.

Of course he will be in my prayers, along with you and your family.

Naturally, we are all agog to read the further adventures of your life.

Posted by: Gayle Miller | October 31, 2008 11:38 AM

Rest in Peace, Phil.
Love and sympathies to all the people who love him, and will miss him forever.

Posted by: Lucy | October 31, 2008 11:47 AM

I'm so very sad to read this. Death of people that are good and very loved makes me sad. But not in a bad way--just in a the way of it is sad when our loved ones aren't with us in the physical anymore...thanks for posting this beautiful remembrance.

Posted by: Elijah | October 31, 2008 12:12 PM

I am also happy y'all had a Mister Phil. Damn sorry he's off having the Eternal Manly Adventures so soon in his time.

Posted by: Tasty | October 31, 2008 12:40 PM

Just a note to say that another random person is thinking a small prayer for you, your family, and all those that knew this man; who obviously had a larger than life impact on those lucky enough to have known him.

hang tough

Posted by: Chad | October 31, 2008 12:44 PM

Condoleances - he sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Posted by: Mieneke | October 31, 2008 12:59 PM

I'm sorry for your family's loss - he sounds like a very special friend to many people.

Posted by: Velma | October 31, 2008 01:06 PM

What a beautiful tribute. I am very sorry for your loss, Miss Doxie.

Posted by: Joni | October 31, 2008 05:39 PM

I'm so sorry for you and for everyone who loved Mister Phil.

Posted by: Candace | October 31, 2008 07:11 PM

Aw Leigh,
I checked in on Miss Doxie today to see if there was a funny update and found your poignant remembrance of Mister Phil. What a fitting and lovely tribute. Sounds like someone I wish I had known. I'm drinking a fine wine in salute to my own memories tonight, as it is the anniversary of the day that my Dad passed away. May warm memories keep you afloat today and always.

Posted by: Edna in Canada | October 31, 2008 09:09 PM

Phil was clearly a remarkable man. I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Ruth | October 31, 2008 10:08 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, Dox. Mister Phil sounds like a kick-ass guy. You all are in our prayers.

Posted by: Jami | October 31, 2008 10:54 PM

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man!! Your Dad's eulogy described Philip's personality so well. He was loved and respected by many people, and it was a blessing to have known him.

Posted by: Carol Huffaker | November 1, 2008 10:32 AM

Posted by: Carol Huffaker | November 1, 2008 10:32 AM

It's always sad to let go of smeone who has brightened your life in the way Mr. Phil did yours. Your tribute to him is sweet and fitting. Well done. And yes, cancer totally sucks...I was lucky to beat mine 5 years ago, so I sort of know how hard it is on people who love you and feel helpless because they can't DO anything about it. Goddess bless you, your family, and of course Mr. Phil.
Sharon and Ginger the Wonder Wiener

Posted by: Sharon | November 1, 2008 10:41 AM

Many prayers and thoughts to Mr Phil's and your family.

Posted by: Tripping Daisy | November 1, 2008 03:44 PM

Oh, sweet Leigh. The irony is that when discussing the evil that is cancer my usual response is:

*hates cancer like Bo*

So, in my usual style, I send Bo style hate towards cancer, and love and hugs to you and yours.

oh, and what scottsdalegirl said too.

Posted by: kristina | November 1, 2008 07:07 PM

My condolences to you and your family for your loss. I am also glad that you were blessed with such a wonderful person in your life.

Miss Doxie: You do not always have to be funny. You just have to be you. Haven't you figured out yet that we adore you?

Posted by: Serenity | November 1, 2008 09:01 PM

Thank you for your tribute to Philip. We all loved him. He will be greatly missed.
He was a pleasure to know, truly a one-of-a kind, fine human being. My heart is broken, too.

Posted by: Babs Aull | November 1, 2008 09:39 PM

God Bless, Mr. Phil

Posted by: Alison C | November 2, 2008 12:54 PM

hugs to you during this difficult time

Mr. Phil, may your spirit ROCK ON!!!

Posted by: wanker | November 2, 2008 11:08 PM

Sending hugs to share with all that need them.

Posted by: kay | November 3, 2008 09:50 AM

What Serenity said. I hope you feel the love pouring out for you and your family.

Here's to Mr. Phil - anyone who could inspire you to write such a loving tribute was a helluva guy.

Posted by: Matt | November 3, 2008 12:12 PM

He looks like a very kind and gentle person. You can tell from the photo. I am sorry you guys lost him.

Posted by: kate | November 3, 2008 02:28 PM

This was a wonderful tribute to Philip. I like to remember him just like he is in that picture. Yes, your parents throw one hell of a wake. I'm so happy he was a part of our lives. The Metcalfe's will all miss hom terribly. How unfair life is sometimes.Sheila

Posted by: Sheila Metcalfe | November 3, 2008 04:10 PM

Very sweet tribute to Phil. It reminds me of my hubby who's no longer with me, and we were married for over 35 years.

It would be our 36th anniversary in a week and when I look at the gorgeous diamond necklace he bought me from www.idonowidont.com for our anniversary last year, he will always be in my heart. Sending hugs from Chicago.

Posted by: MichelleB | November 3, 2008 07:35 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss {{hugs}}

Posted by: Momcat | November 4, 2008 08:26 AM

Your tribute to Philip was lovely, Leigh. And thank you for posting Philip's photo on the boat . . . those of us who loved him can always remember.

Posted by: Ann Wooten | November 4, 2008 11:00 AM

So sorry for your loss. I cried for Mr. Phil.

Posted by: judgemel | November 4, 2008 11:31 AM

Hats off Mr. Phil. May your last days have been joyous, funfilled, loving and comfortable.

Here is a cheers! for you.

Hugs.

Posted by: SkippyMom | November 4, 2008 02:58 PM

I am sorry for your loss but glad for you that you had the opportunity to know such a nice man.

Praying for Mr. Phil and all who knew him.

Posted by: Jane | November 4, 2008 07:45 PM

This tragic story is almost exactly that of my dad, who died 5 weeks ago after he decided that he'd had enough of the endless rounds of chemo and radiation and misery.

I know how sad you are, because I haven't stopped crying in over a month. It's terrible when someone young and vibrant and lovely dies much, much too early, when your children lose their beloved grandfather and you lose your cherished daddy.

My thoughts are with you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Lizzy | November 4, 2008 10:13 PM

I'm glad that you could have Mister Phil in your life. What a gift.

Posted by: lou | November 5, 2008 10:56 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. This is a beautiful tribute. I got all verklempt here in my cubicle.

Posted by: Kat | November 5, 2008 01:24 PM

I'm very sorry for your and you and your family's loss. My best friend is going through her second round of cancer after thinking she beat it. It's progressively getting worse. This post, while I don't want to think of her leaving this world, made me feel that I might just breathe again. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Posted by: Jennah | November 5, 2008 03:29 PM

Oh, honey...

*hugs*

There aren't enough words.

There aren't enough tears.

Posted by: Sithean | November 7, 2008 12:03 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. My dad died of cancer in August and he was my hero. I miss him so much

x

Posted by: Sarah | November 7, 2008 09:47 AM

Dear Mister Phil. He looks like the kinda guy I could just walk up to and hug. I am sure that he was loved oh so much. You are brave to remember him in this way and I applaud you, even in your sorrow. At least you have such wonderful, fond memories. Cling to those and know that he is probably laughing at your tails of debauchery. I know I will!

Posted by: Sarah | November 8, 2008 02:27 PM

Hello. And Bye.

Posted by: XRumerTest | November 10, 2008 05:27 PM

(hugs) Thank you for sharing Mr. Phil with us. I hope you and yours will be well.

When a loved one leaves us,
They’re never truly gone:
They linger in our spirits,
In every breath, in every song.

They linger in our memory,
In our hearts and dreams,
They linger in our love and hope
And every single thing.

And even though they’re missing,
In a way, they’re still here:
Because love never really dies,
They’re always, always near.

Remember, when it pains you,
They are not really gone:
They’re watching from the World Beyond,
Helping us move along.

Posted by: Multi-Facets | November 12, 2008 03:28 AM

Peace be with you, Mister Phil. Say hello to Edgard, Pete, Ame, and my dad for me. I'm sure you two would have hit it off before the afterlife. You sound just as wonderful as he was!

Posted by: Apparently Crazy | November 13, 2008 12:58 AM

That's a great post and a lovely goodbye. I would like to also be one of the many on your waiting list requesting your family to hold my wake, please and thank you. Let me know when my reservation comes up and I'll send the people to you. Second.. um.. it's been more than 'a few days' missy. Where are the pics of your cute Senator?? Hm..?! xo

Posted by: Miss Devylish | November 13, 2008 08:24 PM

My condolences to you and yours. Beautifully written.

How is it that you're a lawyer? You're far too kind and such a great writer.

Posted by: onthecurb | November 17, 2008 01:28 PM

I remember that post long ago, and even though you had him for a while longer, I'm sure it wasn't long enough.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

Posted by: Ivie | November 17, 2008 11:20 PM

Watching a loved one fight for their life ranks number one on my "things that suck" list.What a beautiful tribute.I will include your precious gentleman and his family in my prayers and I just want to share a little poem that is passed around when a man of signifigance passes,

I stood watching as the little ship sailed out to sea. The setting sun tinted his white sails with a golden light, and as he disappeared from sight a voice at my side whispered, “He is gone”.

But the sea was a narrow one. On the farther shore a little band of friends had gathered to watch and wait in happy expectation. Suddenly they caught sight of the tiny sail and, at the very moment when my companion had whispered, “He is gone” a glad shout went up in joyous welcome, “Here he comes!”

Posted by: lauren | November 20, 2008 08:00 PM

Posted by: lauren | November 20, 2008 08:00 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: elizabeth | November 25, 2008 02:04 PM

I hope that when my time is come & gone, someone writes something like this about me.

Posted by: Roshan | November 26, 2008 10:15 AM

Goodbye, Mr Phil. You look like someone who touched many lives, in very good ways.

Posted by: ysabelkid | November 26, 2008 01:49 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Ms. Doxie

Posted by: Scott | November 26, 2008 01:52 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!
It is not that hard to imagine how spectacular such an event must be at the Doxie residences... but we want stories anyway ;) at least pictures? of the Sasquatch? please? hee

Posted by: Elise | November 28, 2008 11:52 AM

I lost my Dad to that fucking bastard cancer just over a month ago, now. It is really hard seeing someone you love wither away and know that you are absolutely powerless to do anything to help them beat the disease. But, when they finally pass from this world to the next, it is a blessing. No more pain and suffering--both physical and emotional. They are free.

Beautiful tribute, Leigh.

Posted by: adam | December 4, 2008 01:52 PM

Hi, Doxie!

I've never e-mailed before but I love your site. You are brilliant, articulate and gorgeous and lesser mortals such as I would hate you if you weren't so damn nice. And you ARE, even when your're trying not to be. And we love you because of it.

Pain is relevant. Pain flirts with all of us and kicks the rest of us in... well, you get the idea. Recovery is a strange thing which we all hate but I recongize the validity of the process. When we're damn well ready. Joy comes where you least expect it. Would you like another cliche? I am not writing them in greek but the corner seems to be already taken on that particular market so I do what I can. Be well, Doxie, and take your time telling us about it.

Posted by: Sharon | December 10, 2008 01:07 AM

Hi friend - just wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year filled with lots of love and happiness and good wine ;)

Posted by: catherino | December 18, 2008 01:45 PM

Leigh, I'm really pissed that some fuckhead has taken over the comment section. They need to grow up or go play someplace else...
We miss you, and are hoping that all is well in Doxie World!
Hope you had a glorious Christmas with your family, and that your New Year is filled with adventure, fun, wine, and of course, Doxies! Oh wait, that's ALL the time for you...but anyway....LOL!
Happy New Year to Leigh and her family!
Babs

Posted by: blabsalot | December 30, 2008 10:54 PM

Happy New Year, Miss D...wherever you are.

Posted by: Debbie | January 1, 2009 06:15 PM

Go away, you trolls.

Posted by: Suz | January 2, 2009 05:48 PM

Miss Doxie's New Year's Resolution: To post more and make all of her adoring blog fans very very happy in 2009 :) KThxBai

Posted by: Andrea | January 5, 2009 04:18 PM

I'm tired of the nonsense writers. Go away, little trolls. And come back, Miss Doxie!

"So, I'll be back in the next few days with tales of the debauchery that is my daily existence."

You said that at the end of October! We've had Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve, all of which I'm sure inspire riotous celebrations at the Doxie household(s). I want to hear about them!

Posted by: Judy | January 7, 2009 03:38 PM

I'm guessing Miss Doxie did not resolve to post a new entry each week in 2009...

Posted by: aimes | January 7, 2009 09:36 PM

Ugh. come on come one come on a girl needs her comedy crack already.

Posted by: Elise | January 11, 2009 08:20 PM

Oh, my! Your comments are speaking in tongues.

Posted by: marebear | January 13, 2009 11:25 PM

Miss Doxie, come back!!

You've got some serious comment spam up in here.

Posted by: Jan | January 19, 2009 06:45 PM

Y'know, she could at least comment on here if the internet broke up with her again.

Ignore the shitheaded spammers and they might go away?

Posted by: Emily | January 20, 2009 09:22 PM

Leigh,

I don't know why you are not posting anymore. I can only assume there has just been too much going on and you have been busy....

However, I think I speak for ALL your devoted lurkers, readers, and commenters that you are really missed and we really hope you are doing fine.

Please let us know soon that you are ok....

A quick post would be fine....anything.....we need our Doxie!!!!!!

Amanda from Maine

Posted by: Amanda | January 21, 2009 10:19 AM

I agree from Amanda from Maine. Unless you and the Senator have 12 children and have moved to a farm in Montana with no internet connection.

We need to know how you, the weenies, and everyone else are doing.

You know it has been along time when you get spammers writting in cyrillic letters...unless you just became for Russia what David Hasselhoff is to Germans.

Posted by: TheSnackHound | January 22, 2009 12:54 PM

I think it's time to accept that MissDoxie.com is at an end.
It was AMAZING while it lasted, but that was during a time in the author's life where she could afford to throw away many wonderful hours entertaining us slobs. The last few delays in entries have been due both to the internet being an asshole AND to her moving on to what looks to be a new chapter in her life-- gettin' all growed up, as she might say. (Were she on. Ever.)
If this amazing site has to die for an even more amazing woman to become EVEN MORE amazingererer, then so be it.
Hopefully, we'll see her on the news some time. Keep scanning CNN.com for "wild" "rampage" "Rebel Yell" "angry" and "Weiners."

Posted by: Iggeh | January 23, 2009 06:54 PM

Yep, it's a goner. And off my bookmarks. It was great while it lasted. I hope the doxies are happy and Miss Doxie even happier. I raise a vodka to the memories.

Posted by: sue | January 24, 2009 01:08 PM

Yeah, she's gone. She was the first blog I was obsessed with when I started my blog, and I wish I were a tenth as funny talking about my dumb life. "Miss Pitbully" wouldn't have been as cute of a site name, though.

Posted by: June | January 24, 2009 10:58 PM

This follows a bit like Doxie so I thought I'd post it here.

I get up this lovely Wednesday (thank goodness only two days left til the weekend) morning. The birds were chirping. The sun was shining. It was a glorious day. Until the crack I smoked first thing wore off! I wake up late cuz I slept through my alarm. I jump out of bed. Start my bathroom stuff throw on my slippers then run out to start my car so its nice and warm. (yeah, I don’t care about the environment!) I get out to the living room and there is this HORRIBLE bile churning smell. (thought process actually kicks in and I remember Kate told me her dogs got into a whole crockpot of deer meat……) SHIT!!! NO!!!! PLEASE GOD NO!!! Oh yeah….SHIT!!!! LITERALLY!!! (Note to self….never dog sit again after being told the dogs ate a whole bunch of deer meat!!!!!!!) All over the dining room….and there is carpet in the dining room….who puts carpet in the dining room!?!? (People who want to torture me, that’s who!!!) I try to decide if I can act like I didn’t see the appalling mess and make Clay clean it. (I really should have stuck with that) 645 in the morning I am on my hands and knees cleaning up dog poop. You all know how weak my stomach is. So I clean one spot…….run to the sink……clean another spot…….sink. I get the place cleaned up as much as possible…no carpet cleaner in the house plus I gotta finish getting ready and get my ass to work. By now its already past 700. I get my frizz ball mess of hair tamed to a presentable look. Grab my jacket (damn static in my jacket is making my hair all floaty) and leave. Crap…..forgot my laptop. Turn off the car, which is now SUPER warm and toasty cuz its been running for 45 minutes. Go inside…gag….YUCK…SMELL!!!! Hold nose…grab the laptop and run. Jump in the car which is only a little toasty because I had to turn it off. SHIT! Celle. I cant forget my celle again. My celle already doesn’t think I like it anymore after forgetting it the other day. Turn the car off….grumble to myself….yell at the garage cuz the dogs who shit all over the carpet are barking loud. Go inside….DREADFUL SMELL still….see Clay all wrapped up under the covers and start to loath him for still sleeping…..grab celle and go. Get out to my now cold car. Start the darn thing again. Head off to work. Get to Eagle and the bypass (about a mile away from home) notice my FRICKEN slippers are still on!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t flip a bitch on the bypass so I am stuck going back down Old State Street. Get home. Turn car off. Kick garage. DAMN DOGS! Nasty smell….have a minute of satisfaction knowing sleeping Clay will have to smell that all day. Change shoes. Give sleeping Clay a dirty look down the hall. Head out to work AGAIN. Actually make it to work! Hip hip hooray! Grap celle, laptop, purse…..purse!?!?! PURSE?!?!?!!!!! Yep…no purse…its at home with sleeping Clay, damn dogs and HORRENDOUS GHASTLY smell. Poor purse.

Posted by: PlaneKate | February 5, 2009 05:47 PM

I'm not giving up on you, Miss Doxie!

Since you get scared of mountains of comments, I'm addressing this comment to Cookie.

Cookie, could you please ask Miss Doxie to write a brief (2 sentences maybe!) update? I'm asking really nicely. Pretty please? With a gosling on top?

Thank you! :)

Posted by: Aphrodite | February 8, 2009 03:09 PM

Wow. If you'll give me your password, I'll take care of the spam comments myself just because I hate them. That is some serious neglect you got going on there. And also, COME BACK!!

Posted by: DivineMrsM | February 18, 2009 03:52 AM

christ, just shut it down if you're not going to update. removing you from my bookmarks.

Posted by: sj | February 19, 2009 01:09 AM

Oh, Leigh, I miss you! My life means nothing without a Miss Doxie entry to look forward to! Please come back!

Posted by: Tasha | February 22, 2009 05:38 PM

Not sure if you'll find this underneath the mountain of Cyrillic spam, but you are missed. Please to write again soon(ish).

Posted by: Melissa | February 24, 2009 01:08 PM

Leigh? Seriously? I've been checkin back throughout the four months, and I'm so scared for you!

Did these mad Russian spam commenters find you in real life and capture you? I fear your safety is compromised. Please be okay. The Innernet misses you.

Ciao.

Posted by: Jaime | February 27, 2009 11:50 AM

as usual, I'm so very late because I thought you had hung up your laptop, but on a whim, decided to try again.

I just lost my Uncle Bob, the best Uncle Bob pretty much ever, to liver cancer. it's a similar story, and an incredibly sad one. I'm glad, at least, that you and I both had such a special person in our lives. still totally FUCKING SUCKS, however.

best wishes xo

Posted by: kelly | March 5, 2009 06:41 PM

come back please. I miss your posts. I hope all is well.

Posted by: Lori | March 5, 2009 08:11 PM

i still have hope that you'll come back. if you're gonna let me down let me down easy.

Posted by: Casie | March 6, 2009 03:57 PM

aww please just come back and give us your swan-song.
I fucking hate it when a show gets cancelled and things have not been closed.

Posted by: wanker | March 9, 2009 12:00 PM

I can't even tell you how much I miss your posts. If I lived anywhere near you, I think I'd be ready to start stalking you to make sure all is well. :)

Hope you will post again soon....you are deeply missed!!!

Posted by: aj | March 9, 2009 06:06 PM

Hope you will post again soon....you are deeply missed!!!

Posted by: aj | March 9, 2009 06:06 PM

Hope you will post again soon....you are deeply missed!!!

Posted by: aj | March 9, 2009 06:06 PM

I guess we'll have to start aother round of convo's in the comments section until miss doxie posts again, with the way things are going we will get one once a year!

Posted by: Jennifer | March 12, 2009 12:04 PM

Miss D - you are missed sooo very much ... I check back often in the hopes you'll have posted something ... anything ... just to let us know you are OK ~

Posted by: val | March 13, 2009 12:28 PM

Just wanted to be another voice saying you're still missed. Hope you come back soon!

Posted by: Minda | March 13, 2009 06:24 PM

are you ever coming back, Miss Doxie???

Posted by: thren | March 15, 2009 04:59 AM

Miss D, one post per year is not nearly enough. At least let us know you are ok -
if you are quitting this blog it would be sad enough, but at least we would know....

Posted by: Jens | March 16, 2009 05:55 AM

Just this weekend, I was visiting friends in your neck o' the woods Miss Doxie, and thinking "I hope the Doxie household is kickin' ass and takin' names and is so stupidly happy and busy with wine and vodka and charities and doggehs and lawyering that she never updates her site again 'cos life is way better than the webbernet."

Which is all my long-winded way of sayin' that tho I miss the hell outta ya (like a bajillionity other folks), I hold no truck with the idea you owe us anything a'tall. I'mma 'magine lovely things for you and all of your loved ones.

... and read the archives.

Posted by: PAVE.GURL | March 16, 2009 01:02 PM

dude.

Posted by: Jen | March 16, 2009 01:55 PM

has anyone else noticed that miss doxie has lots of foreign fans?

Posted by: Jen | March 24, 2009 03:02 PM

God, please get rid of the Russians!

And at least have the courtesy to say you're through, instead of leaving us all hanging for months.

Posted by: Sikofitall | March 30, 2009 10:08 AM

Please come back. :(

Posted by: Taper | April 1, 2009 11:32 PM

...whatever it is that's keepin you away so long will likely make one helluva whopper of a story. :o) Us Miss Doxie fans should start a blog in your comments just to keep ourselves entertained until you return from your indefinate absence...it won't be as funny as you; but maybe it will fill that humorous void we all feel.
See, we miss you so much ( & I'm sure I speak for most )that even in your extended absence, we still religiously check back all the time in the hopes that when we see your page it will be filled with a new & entertaining update. We love your humorous accounts of life/stories of too much wine, the dogs, falling down etc..., but we're also concerned....please let us know you're OK.

A Canadian Fan

Posted by: A Canadian Fan | April 2, 2009 11:39 AM

I remember the last long absence. I would check randomly. Always sad to see the same old post and then one day there was something new. I almost fell out of my chair and I'm sure I made a loud squeal of excitement that I couldn't quite explain to my boss who sat in the next office.

I continue to check and anxiously await that moment when I realize it doesn't say About A Gentleman anymore.

When I was pregnant I didn't want to find out the sex of my baby because I said, when in life are you ever truly surprised like this?

I guess I found that other thing, huh?

Posted by: Kelly | April 3, 2009 04:18 PM

... lol Kelly ... at least yr boss sits in the next office. My boss is 8 feet from me in the same office ... I was so excited I forgot I wasn't alone & let out a loud 'Yessssssssssssss' ... complete with the 'bent-arm & fist' motion that golfers use when they sink a ball... yeah, that's even harder to explain when your supposed to be tending to cust complaints... lol....

Posted by: A CANADIAN FAN | April 3, 2009 05:37 PM

OMG Dude, seriously? October? Can't you just humor us with a "Hey! Still alive here, just busy!" post????? Miss you :(

Posted by: Gretchen | April 3, 2009 09:40 PM

OMG, where are you? I laughed so hard at Cookie and the Geese some unknown object flew out a my nose..but then I had to share it with all my friends. Now, alas and alack no more posts. We are sad. Shane, come back Shane!!!

Posted by: Joan | April 8, 2009 11:07 AM

OMG, where are you? I laughed so hard at Cookie and the Geese some unknown object flew out a my nose..but then I had to share it with all my friends-the blog that is, not the other. Now, alas and alack no more posts. We are sad. Shane, come back Shane!!!

Posted by: Joany | April 8, 2009 11:09 AM

finally we are all back! Remember the last one and we all got together and I think even started a three word story threw our comments. that was before the Russians took over the blog though. I know we are all sad, but I know she'll be back, there is no way she can't know whats going on here right?

Posted by: Jen | April 8, 2009 01:25 PM

Stupid spammers.

Listen, Miss Doxie, I miss the hell out of your posts. Also, you should know what an impact you make on people. See, at least on this site, you have managed to take situations and make them silly and ridiculous and funny.

After reading for so long, I started to look at life in a similar fashion, find the hilarity in it and it becomes much easier.

You've been gone far too long and I miss reading how you handle any given situation--you really do make a difference to people.

If you're not going to write anymore, would you please just tell us? If you are, would you please hire someone to get rid of this damn spam?

Posted by: Serenity | April 10, 2009 07:59 PM

Dear John1724 I wish you would go die in a fire after being stung by a thousand bees in your eyeballs and have your penis smashed in a car door.

sincerely,

Loyal Miss Doxie Fan

Posted by: Jen | April 10, 2009 09:27 PM

Well...I hate to say it, but obviously she just doesn't care about her readers. I check here every day to see if there's an update, and am disappointed. I can't see how it would be so difficult to take two minutes to tell us she's either really busy, or that she isn't going to update anymore. Maybe she likes the attention.

Posted by: M | April 11, 2009 01:04 PM

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to go kill John1754, or John967 or whatever number John he is today.

Pow! POW POW!!

Posted by: annie | April 13, 2009 09:24 PM

We miss you....and we hate John number boy.

Posted by: Melissa | April 15, 2009 07:10 PM

Well crap. She's gone. And the crazies are taking over the comments. Die John967 and all your creepy friends.

Posted by: Ria | April 22, 2009 10:42 AM

Why pay web hosting charges for a site that you never update? Why keep loyal readers coming back for nothing but a random "real" comment and umpteen crazy comments in another language?

I think maybe I'll e-mail these questions to the "webmaster" though I think they will go unnoticed — just as the 1,700+ comments here have gone unnoticed (or at least ignored).

Posted by: Aimes | April 24, 2009 02:09 PM

COOKIE! It's anarchy again! Help us, please!

Posted by: annie | April 27, 2009 08:39 PM

If Leigh doesn't want to update, she doesn't have to update! She's not a dancing monkey! And she owes us nothing. If anything, we owe her for giving us tons of free entertainment before.

Thanks Miss Doxie, wherever you are!

Posted by: A Girl | May 2, 2009 01:13 AM

It sure would be nice to hear from Miss Doxie about all the adventures she and Bo have been up to.
In the meantime, back to the archives. Where is that Viking Doll video?

Posted by: mbick | May 3, 2009 03:45 AM

I just had to put something up here that wasn't in Russian, some odd headline, or a sales pitch for Cheap! Viagara!

As you were....

Posted by: Laura | May 27, 2009 06:21 PM

Who are these buffoons??? Really ... who takes the time to fill up the comments section of a (let's face it...)inactive blog, with ethnic if not gibberish blurbs - REALLY GET A LIFE!!! The rest of us would like to sit & anticipate Ms.D's great comback blog in relative peace without the ridiculousness of "SPAM" type blog comments!!! (I'm well aware it's not going to stop them...but just thought I'd throw my comments out there anyhow) .....

Posted by: Spam_Comment_H8ter | June 2, 2009 05:22 PM

i miss you, miss d.

Posted by: marebear | June 3, 2009 08:36 PM

I don't know what is going on with this site, or with Miss Doxie. I came here a few days ago and the site was completely changed to a website for a photographer. I'm so glad to see that it is once again "Miss Doxie" but wondering if this means a comeback? I hope so! You and your family have been in my prayers and I hope something tragic hasn't taken you from us, just something more along the lines of you breaking the internet.

*hugs*

Posted by: Jennah | June 26, 2009 04:59 PM

RUN TOWARDS THE LIGHT!!!! We are waiting for you with open arms! (Bring Bo!)

Posted by: Annie | July 1, 2009 06:54 PM

I guess I'm not the only one who comes back from time to time to check on Miss Doxie. I miss her hilarious recaps of her life's events. We miss you. We hope everything is okay. We want you to come back to us and brighten our days with your funny stories.

Posted by: Dee | July 1, 2009 11:16 PM

Dee, you are not alone. I come back frequently. Alas, for naught. It appears we may need to start back at the beginning with Miss Doxie and take a dose a day from her previous posts.

Posted by: Janice | July 2, 2009 07:13 AM

I've just spent a lovely hour or two going through the archives, but what would be even better is an update on whether everything's okay or (dare I hope) the news that Miss Doxie is starting up this blog again. I miss it SO much. A writing talent like that just should not be allowed to go unused. Hugs to you, Leigh, wherever you are and whatever is keeping you from us!

Posted by: b | July 3, 2009 02:29 AM

abandoning all hope of miss doxie ever returning and thinking long and hard about visiting this very persistently commenting JOHNWITHNUMBERS guy. he looks interesting.

Posted by: denice | July 15, 2009 05:56 PM

Hoping you're OK. Whether you come back or not, thanks for the laughter. You're a doll. I hope you and the dogs are happy as can be. Take care.

Posted by: Rae | July 19, 2009 08:28 PM

Miss Doxie, I really do hope everything is all right with you. Not posting for almost a year???? What's happened? And why have nasty trolls and bots taken over your comments?!?! This is not right. Please post soon and resolve the mystery of your silence.

Posted by: Davey Cole | July 22, 2009 10:57 AM

For anyone interested in a funny site (that updates their content a bit more frequently than Miss Doxie), check out awkwardfamilyphotos.com.

Posted by: Aimes | July 27, 2009 01:54 PM

Miss Doxie, I hope your silence is from having a grand time doing whatever you are doing, so much so that you are too busy to post. And if not, I hope you are able to make it so! :-)

Posted by: W. Lotus | July 28, 2009 06:25 AM

So, when she does post again, what do ya'll think it will be about?

Her year in recap?
Her adventures with the dogs?
Babies?
Marriage?
An intergalactic space trip?

Posted by: Laura | August 4, 2009 12:12 PM

She did get married, you all. I found an engagement announcement ages ago. I think she just wants this to be the end of this site. Let's let her have that. She made us all pretty happy for a long time. Let's let her move on.

Posted by: Anna | August 11, 2009 09:17 PM

It's the sense that the blog is unfinished, perhaps, that is affecting us, the readers. I don't know, maybe an "official" last post with an update and a "thanks for reading" would satisfy a lot of us.

Posted by: SunKitten | August 17, 2009 09:37 AM

I think SunKitten summed it up. Just like a good book needs a final page...hopefully someday she'll come back and announce a happily ever after and a goodbye. I wish you the best Miss Doxie :) Thanks for the memories :)

Posted by: Chris@thesnackhound | August 19, 2009 12:56 PM

Actually, I retract my last statement. It is more like the last episode of the Sopranos...open ended, and much talked about. Best wishes, Miss Doxie

Posted by: Chris@TheSnackHound | August 19, 2009 09:53 PM

"found an engagement announcement"....creepy stalking.

Anyhoo..no longer keeping up on this blog...DELETE from bookmarks.

Sucks that she didn't even say "goodbye, see ya...kiss my ass...anything..." I mean..when you have such a large following, it would be courteous to at least say "NOT going to do this anymore, YA KNOW??"

Very disappointed.

Posted by: Trista | August 25, 2009 10:30 AM

I would love an official good-bye, and I continually check in for one, but I doubt we'll ever see one.

I really think she is letting the domain name run it's course. Once it is expired then *poof* this whole blog is history.

Maybe at some point Bo will create a blog of his own. That would be awesome!

Who knows what the future holds.

Posted by: KelleBelle | August 27, 2009 07:08 PM

I find it encouraging that the spam stopped. I feel that this could mean one of several things:

1. Miss Doxie got someone to help her set up some type of spam filter, which means she's not ready to give up the site just yet.

2. Movable Type has gotten better spam filters. I mean, good for Movable Type, right?

3. The spammers have gone away. (This could also mean that I have more of a false sense of hope that this site will survive than do people who hock pr0nz and fake prescription drugs and computer viruses on the internets... Hmmm...)

Posted by: Jane | September 1, 2009 05:58 PM

I still check your site, from time to time, hoping you'll return. Sigh. Hope you're doing well.

Posted by: Suzy Q | September 4, 2009 11:15 PM

i too hope you return and that everything is okay. check in, won't you?

Posted by: denice | September 8, 2009 10:07 AM

Hey Miss Doxie.

Have loved your blog over the years. I really hope all is well with you and you family. Pop in when ever you get the chance even if it is just to say goodbye.

Posted by: Michelle | September 12, 2009 08:47 AM

Is Miss Doxie over?

Posted by: Justin | September 21, 2009 09:21 AM

Hey guys,

I really miss Miss Doxie's blog! I hope she's happy, wherever she is...

Anyway, I just started a new blog, and I thought maybe the crowd that reads Doxie, would enjoy it. It's called "Online Dating Nightmares" and it basically showcases the creepy/weird/insane emails I've gotten on online dating sites. Anyway, I need submissions!!! Check out my site and please send me some submissions if you can. Thanks :)

Posted by: Jen | October 3, 2009 12:36 PM

My birthday is October 27. You know what would be a reeeaaallly good birthday present? *hint* *hint*
*nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* *say no more*