« The Grind Sucks | Main | Live, From My Closet: Now, With Extra Humiliation! »

Look Who Is So Full Of Ideas Today!

September 19, 2006

So, yes, it is only September some...teenth, and there are a lot of days before it gets to be Halloween, and I understand this, y'all, but that is not changing the fact that I feel like now is the time when we need to start gathering the supplies we will need for Bo's Halloween costume. For the first time in my life, I am planning ahead. Someone should probably call my mom, who will be thrilled about this state of affairs, and who has probably already finished her Christmas shopping, whereas I, on the other hand, have not yet managed to take my Christmas decorations, from last year, all the way up to the attic (this is true. All the red and green boxes are stacked in a guest room. This is...nice, I think, and quite festive for August houseguests).

(At this point, the decorations are just staying put, man. Considering the fact that the American Holiday Season has somehow bloated itself into late August, according to my local Target, which was already overrun with spider-dripping orange 'n black Halloween displays last month, I think it is perfectly acceptable to start Christmas decorating some time in May.)

(Astoundingly, I seem to have gotten off track.)

But, anyway. So, Bo's costume! The dogs always have Halloween costumes, because I have Issues, but most years I just dress them all in bandanas decorated with ghosts or tombstones or some other "morbid AND kid-friendly!" character. I have, however, in the past, attempted to dress them in actual costumes. Only, weiner dogs don't fit really well in actual dog costumes, primarily because lots of those costumes involve utilizing the front-chest area of the dog. Like, know those little costumes that have the fake legs or little bodies dangling down from a collar? So that it looks like a disembodied and irritated dog head has somehow fused onto a small, cartoonish human form that is probably either a cowboy or a ballerina? Know those? Those don't really work so well with dachshunds. When you put those costumes on dachshunds, whose front-chest area is approximately negative twelve centimeters long, the cowboy/ballerina legs just hang out in front of their faces, like the disembodied and irritated dachshund head has been fused to a body, only that body happens to be flat-on-its-back dead. Which I guess is keeping with the Halloween spirit, but you know. It looks ridiculous. And Lord knows, we can't have that! Not in THIS house!

So, we improvise. Once, we painted Tasha's toenails and attached some foam curlers to her collar, and told everyone that she was a bored housewife, and the rest of the dogs were small brown UPS men. One year, we put them all in an enormous pot with some plastic vegetables, and announced that they were Ingredients. (That is also the year when we learned that Ingredients are usually much...stiller, actually, than a bunch of pissed-off dachshunds in a pot with plastic vegetables. So that one didn't really work.)

But, we have learned one thing for our attempts, and that is that, in a remarkable and unexpected twist, of all the dogs, only Bo will keep a costume on his body for anything longer than six seconds. Seriously: Bo. Bo, who is evil. Bo, who hates all things. Bo, who communicates with his teeth.

This is the same Bo who likes costumes, and will actually growl at you if you try to take them off of his wriggling, hateful self. Somehow, Bo's personality is part Benito Mussolini, and part drag queen. To which we say: watch out, world. It's the unholy marriage of dictatorship and glitter.

So, bearing this in mind, I'm thinking that this year, he should have something extra special, you know? And I've been thinking about it, and here are some ideas that I've been pondering. And really, because I am so nice, I've listed all the necessary supplies and instructions, so you can make them at home, for your own little canine friends! Yay, sharing! I am like Martha Stewart with the Good Things. Check it out:

Costume Idea #1:

BoLisa.bmp

Bo-Na Lisa
(Oh shut up. You were thinking it, too.)

Materials Needed:

Mona Lisa (one)
Scissors
Bo
Super Glue
Valium

Instructions:

Steal Mona Lisa from Louvre. Cut out face part with scissors. Take Valium; locate Bo. Insert Bo into remaining Mona Lisa; hold Bo in place with Super Glue. Take more Valium. Show off handiwork to nice French authorities on the doorstep. Offer them Halloween candy!

And, you're done!

But, maybe you are looking for something less...feminine mystique. In that case, we could go manly. And what's manlier than Costume Idea #2:

jackboer.JPG
Jack Bo-Er
(People, I can't help it. It's like I'm being compelled here.)

Materials Needed:

Jack Bauer (headless)
Scissors
Bo
Super Glue
Kim Bauer
Large Gun

Instructions

Obtain headless Jack Bauer from boat on which he is making slow trip to China; set head aside for bronzing. Locate Bo. Attach Bo to lifeless corpse of Jack Bauer with super glue. Use large gun to kill Kim Bauer; collect accolades from everyone in the world. Offer them Halloween candy!

Finished!

But, maybe...maybe this is not the way you want to go, either. Maybe you are thinking to yourself, "Self, these costume ideas are both economical and unique, but they're just not me. I'm a practical person, who does not want to have to fly to France, or find the boat on which Jack Bauer is currently deposited. I would like to find everything I need on my continent of residence, if at all possible. Can this even be done?"

Well, people, you are in luck, because I am here to tell you that yes it can. You can make an entire costume for your pet with items you already own! (Gasp! Wonder! Amazement!) Because, items you already own are all you need to fashion Costume #3:

BORITO.JPG
Bo-Rrito
(I promise that I am done now.)

Also known as: Yo Quiero Kill You So Much.

Materials:

White hand towel
Refuse (Assorted)
Stapler
Super Glue
Bo
Tequila (2 bottles)

Instructions:

Drink one bottle tequila; locate Bo. Wrap body of Bo in hand towel; staple into place. Fill towel with refuse; place second bottle of tequile in Bo's mouth. Use Super Glue for extra hold. Run for life. Bring candy.

So, there you go, y'all. Three perfectly reasonable ideas for Halloween costumes that I may inflict upon Bo this year. But, really, my mind's not made up yet; there are just so many options! Che Bo-Vara? Bo-ri Spelling? A cowboy?

I am sure y'all have plenty of excellent pet costume ideas, and so I think you should share them below, with or without instructions. As always, creativity is encouraged. But if you suggest Little Bo Peep, then Mister Bo might have something to say to you. And he'll probably say it with his teeth.

UPDATED, to add that:

People, we have all been schooled. Thank you to Liberal Banana, who has created the below image, and in doing so, has demonstrated exactly why "bored at work" is an awesome thing indeed.

Behold: Bo Derek.

boderek.jpg

Y'all enjoy. I'm just going to hang out here, and try to pry Bo's incisors out of my calf muscles. I guess he isn't...pleased.

Posted by doxie in The Dogs (Or, Poop) | permalink

Lots of costumes here. The skunk costume especially makes me squeezy with cute. Also, hot dog costume! Because... weiner dog? Right? Too obvious?

Also, giraffe costume! Hello, irony!

Why yes I was an English major, thank you.

I saw some others today (they were BRILLIANT!), I wonder if I can find them...

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2006 04:16 PM

Oh oh oh-- this could become really evil. (Much like Bo, so I guess it's appropriate.) You could dress him like Bo Derek..in a skimpy bikini with corn-ro braids? http://www.boderek.com/Bohome.html

Or how about like erstwhile American Idol wanna-be Bo Bice? Long hair, scruffy-ish beard, cardboard guitar and the rest of the posse can be the...gulp...Bo Peeps (which is the actual name of the Bo Bice Fan Club. I couldn't make this up, people.) http://www.bobice.com/index.php

Maybe you could construct some sort of a green cloud-ish thing out of tulle, spray it down with an "odorant" of some sort and call it B.O....?

Okay-- somebody stop me.

Posted by: MelBert | September 19, 2006 04:21 PM

Here we go:

I mean... GHOSTS! With buckets!

Also, bugs! Dude! Bugs! He could be a Bo-ug? Bo-logna? Bo-livia?

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2006 04:32 PM

OK, no costume ideas, but "(Astoundingly, I seem to have gotten off track.)"? HAHAHAHAHA! It's not nice of you to make me laugh out loud at work - I might get into trouble!

Oh, wait - how about Bo-ris Badenov? You know, from Rocky and Bullwinkle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Badenov). Little black moustache, black hat, black cape-y thing. It'd be perfect!

Posted by: Linda | September 19, 2006 04:39 PM

I have much love for you and Bo miss Doxie! ha ha ha ha You crack me up!

Posted by: Amy | September 19, 2006 05:05 PM

Well this is International talk like a pirate day... so what abaout Captain Bo Sparrow! Some dreads, undereye make up, a sward. I think he has some definate Jonny Depp qualities! Just think about it!

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2006 05:21 PM

OMG. I just literally laughed out loud so much people in my office turned to look :) Thanks for that on an idle Tuesday :)

-N

Posted by: Natalia | September 19, 2006 05:23 PM

How about Bo Duke? You could kit him out in some blond flowing locks, a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt with the sleeves cut off. Then you could take a cheap skateboard and paint it like the General Lee.

And then Dukay could be Daisy Duke and you could be Roscoe P. Coltrane! Oh man, I am a genius.

Posted by: Contrary | September 19, 2006 05:27 PM

You are cracking me up...I have in my house -7- dachshunds. Schroeder is my oldest and he is just like Bo - Mr Hate-the-world-and-everything-in-it! Good luck with the costumes, I'll look out for the ones that will fis doxies! :)

Posted by: Kelly | September 19, 2006 05:45 PM

Thanks for the laugh! How about a centipede. It doesn't have anything to do with Bo, but you could make a costume with little legs hanging off the side of it.

Posted by: ADR | September 19, 2006 05:57 PM

OMG, it IS Talk Like A Pirate Day! And to think I nearly missed it.

You can make him a Bosama Bin Laden costume. In fact, anyone can make a little Osama! Just take a big turd and put a turban on it.

Posted by: Gretchen | September 19, 2006 06:10 PM

One word: Bo-no

All needed:

shades
superglue
and shin pads for when he rams you to get the sunglasses off.

Posted by: Circe | September 19, 2006 07:06 PM

omg! you are hilarious! I have 2 doxies - I don't know how you handle 4! and I live with my sis! gah! lol! Last year, Bella was a Bellarina (nicknamed that by best friend's kids cause I can get her to stand and turn around like a ballerina...tho not very gracefully...). I took her to the local PetSmart for their Hallowe'en and she won for best original costume! She doesn't like to wear clothes tho...she tries to get them off and then pouts in a corner...and sometimes pees on my bed...We also have George. George will be 6 months old on monday...and will have his balls removed on friday! ;) but they haven't come down yet, so I don't think he'll remember that they're gone! anyways, George is going to be a Devil and Bella is going to be a Butterfly this year :D Costumes bought at Petsmart too :D and keep up the posting! Enjoying it very muchly! :D

Posted by: Jacquie | September 19, 2006 07:08 PM

Chiquita bo-nana?

a bo-ard game?

a bolice man?

a bo-mb? (attach fuse and run like hell - the rest of the weiners could be the bomb squad)

Posted by: liz | September 19, 2006 07:09 PM

Yeah, so umm, after you mentioned them together? The only idea I could come up with was Bo as Mussolini in drag. I think he is in desperate need of some fishnets and a boa.

Posted by: Kanigget | September 19, 2006 07:10 PM

Miss Doxie--

I'm having a burning need to use the Bo-Rrito as an avatar on a site you most probably will never see. May I?

Posted by: J. | September 19, 2006 07:38 PM

My dog will be wearing a costume that is both simple and cruel. I have a pair of homemade cat ears. The dog will wear the cat ears. For approximately 6 seconds before she rips them off, devours them, and registers disappointment that they don't taste like fresh kitty.

Posted by: Moose | September 19, 2006 07:39 PM

Lulu has just been begging me for a costume, but I can't find one that is just right and will fit her teeniny 4 inch legs.

Posted by: Elizabeth K | September 19, 2006 07:49 PM

I am from NYC, where we have dog groups and other weird socializing things that involve the dogs since we don't have back yards. One of our biggest events of the year is the "Pupkin", it's the doggie Halloween costume contest. Here are last year's pics: http://fortgreenepups.org/05/ThumbnailFrame.htm
Maybe you'll get some ideas. You do have a ready-made Wizard of Oz group there at your house.

Posted by: Kizz | September 19, 2006 07:53 PM

I think a bottle of Bo-urbon might be appropriate.

Or you could hang a sign on him that says Bo Knows How to Communicate with Teeth a la Bo Jackson.

Or he could be Bo Diddley, with a wee doxie guitar.

Posted by: a horrible warning | September 19, 2006 08:01 PM

OMFG! Bo-Rrito. You are hilarious! I wish I could trick-or-treat at your house!

Posted by: Ivie | September 19, 2006 08:45 PM

How about Bo-Ho Bo--- He just needs a little swoopy (short sleeved) blouse, chandelier earrings/necklace, and a tiny head scarf.

If you could pose three other dogs with him in an inverted square on a black background, you could have a Bo-hemian rhapsody.

Or put a giant mustache on him and call him Bo-rat.

What will the other dogs be?

Posted by: Meepers | September 19, 2006 08:51 PM

I have absolutely no ideas.. but the first person who commented linked to that great costume site. OMG.. you have to get one of those! Teh crocodile is awesome.. so is the piggy and the bumble bee.. but Bo may be more hardcore and want the one w/ the skeleton. The bo-rito was the best tho!

Posted by: Angel | September 19, 2006 08:58 PM

Personally, I think he'd make an excellent chocolate eclair. He's the right shape.

Posted by: liz | September 19, 2006 09:26 PM

"It's the unholy marriage of dictatorship and glitter."

I have a feeling this sentence will stay with me in a PARTICIPATING EYEBROW sort of way, until I can finally, mercifully, work it into conversation.

Wish me luck.

Posted by: LadyBug | September 19, 2006 09:48 PM

Hey Linda--

Funny you should mention Boris from Rocky and Bullwinkle! CLEARLY you have not read enough Miss Doxie archives to know that Bo and Tasha were named after Boris and Natasha. Although I don't think the cartoon Natasha had as many boobies as doxie-Tasha does......

You have your assignment. Go study up on your vintage Miss Doxie! :c)

Posted by: Cassiopeia | September 19, 2006 09:50 PM

Also, here are some ideas....

*an am-bo-lance...you could even attach one of those cheapo bike strobe lights to his back!
*a rain-bo! (complete with leprechaun? or maybe not.)

Posted by: Cassiopeia | September 19, 2006 09:59 PM

A friend of mine dressed her large, cranky kitty with short legs as "The Hef". She popped him in a smoking jacket with a playboy logo on it. You could always pop blond wigs on the other 3.

Posted by: Erin | September 19, 2006 10:33 PM

Holy mother of God, y'all are all BRILLIANT. Giraffes, centipedes, Hugh, Bo Derek, Bosama...you are killing me. I love you more than just a friend.

Although, I must say that: people, it is just not responsible that nobody told me that it was Talk Like A Pirate Day until now, when it is much too late to Talk Like A Pirate. This is a damn shame, y'all. I had a conference call and everything!

(And, psst, J: Absolutely; have a party with your bad self.)

Thank you guys for your awesome comments! Y'all are so much fun. And nobody even called the ASPCA yet!

Posted by: miss doxie | September 19, 2006 10:57 PM

I like David Bo-Wie personally. He can be all glittery if you base it off of the Ziggy Stardust years. And then Tasha can be Iman.

Posted by: Laura | September 19, 2006 11:46 PM

Don't worry about being premature for Halloween. Costco is already Decking the Halls with animated penguins.

Posted by: Sally | September 20, 2006 12:04 AM

I know how you like to decorate your yard for Halloween. I wanted to tell you to check out Cost Plus World Market. I was in there the other day and thought of you. Cool decorations. A life size Mummy with dirty shreddy wrappings, coffins etc. There's one just north of Cumberland Mall.

Posted by: mackmomma | September 20, 2006 12:28 AM

I dressed my wiener dog in Bronco regalia for Halloween the year the Broncos won the Super Bowl for the first time. Coincidence? I think not.

Thanks for letting me use the pic, Miss Doxie.

Posted by: J. | September 20, 2006 02:21 AM

It's so obvious! :o)

A BOa constrictor. He's already got the fang part of the costume down pat!

Posted by: Luck O' the Irish | September 20, 2006 07:28 AM

You could do some timely like E. Bo-li. It would be simmilar to the Bo-Rito costume, but green with more pipe cleaners sticking out of it.

Who doesn't have fun with pipe cleaners!

Posted by: Mrs.MGA | September 20, 2006 08:01 AM

You gotta check out www.marshallgreyhounds.com/index.htm. It features pictures of greyhounds in handmade costumes. Not for Holloween, but just cause the dogs' owner likes dressing them in costumes.

Later
Brad

Posted by: Brad | September 20, 2006 08:22 AM

Cassiopeia - OMG!! I *may* have actually read that in the archives . That either makes me brillant, or a complete idiot:-) Off to read/re-read Miss D's captivating story.

Posted by: Linda | September 20, 2006 08:58 AM

Here's what you do

1. find some material
2. fashion it into some sleeves and somehow attach on dog's back
3. Presto, a Bo-Lero Jacket

Have fun torturing the dogs

Posted by: Vanessa | September 20, 2006 10:14 AM

How about a ho-bo? Or possibly a bo and arrow? You could dress Gimmme up as the arrow and it would be amazing.

We've done:
A hotdog (you've seen the pictures I hope)
A Mustard Bottle.
Three little pigs
A horse, complete with a saddle and jockey
Grapes - Attach a bunch of ballons to a shirt.

Posted by: Boomer | September 20, 2006 10:26 AM

Take a pair of pantyhose. Cut off the legs. Stuff the legs with that white filling stuff you get at craft stores. Stuff until the leg is approximately the length of Bo. Tie off the end and snip the excess.

Get felt squares while you're at the fabric store - red, yellow, white and a couple of shades of green. Cut the red and yellow into strips and the white and green into little squares. Use fabric glue (from the craft store) to attach the strips to the two legs in a criss-cross pattern. Attach the little squares (mixture of the greens first, then the white sprinkled on top) to the red and yellow strips, and the inner sides of the legs.

Allow to dry so that the strips hold the legs together, but a few inches apart. (Yes, that makes sense.) Balance the felt strips across Bo's back, one leg on either side.

Voila! A hot dog, with ketchup, mustard, relish and onions!

Easy, cheap, quick, and most Dachshunds don't seem to mind wearing it.

Posted by: Juli | September 20, 2006 12:51 PM

How about Bo-J?

Materials:

One small, black leather glove (perhaps *too* small)
Faux plastic knife
Dachshund-sized golf bag
Picket sign reading "Free the Juice!"

Posted by: culotte | September 20, 2006 01:01 PM

How's about a Bo-loon?

You could feed him helium and tie a string around his neck.

Posted by: 123Valerie | September 20, 2006 01:02 PM

I have no suggestions, but I just Can't. Stop. Giggling. about your costume suggestions. You crack me up!

Posted by: Jessie | September 20, 2006 02:05 PM

I like them all, especially number 3. It's much better than the ballerina costume that my mom made me wear one year. This year I'm going to be a terrorist.

Posted by: Bella, professional dachshund | September 20, 2006 02:30 PM

Chief Bo-dy, from Jaws.

Costume: a bigger boat.

[Secondary costume: Roy Scheider, who hasn't been doing much lately]

Posted by: Ed | September 20, 2006 02:42 PM

i think a bo(w)-tie would work.paste little bow ties all over his ownself.

Posted by: mp | September 20, 2006 04:20 PM

Because I love you and your site (SO FUNNY!) and also because I had some time to kill at work, I made a picture of Bo's next Halloween costume for you. Bo Derek! Wait to say no until you see how beautiful he could look... Here it is on my Flickr site.

Posted by: Liberal Banana | September 20, 2006 04:46 PM

Okay...my friend Rach and I came up with this one...how about dressing Bo up as a bottle of "Bo"rdeaux...needed: red or purple dye...one cork...and a death wish...

Dye Bo with appropriate color and put a cork in him...or hot glue one to his tail...

Miss Doxie--you rock!!

Posted by: Barb | September 20, 2006 04:56 PM

I'm disappointed to hear that the Valium wasn't for the dog. I think a little Valium might make him more ... cooperative in this costuming process.

Posted by: Schnozz | September 20, 2006 05:23 PM

Oh my God! it just came to me:

Ram-BO !!!

How fitting - and the image of him in a little camouflage bandana....little knives on a belt....you could SO run with that one.

Posted by: Amy | September 20, 2006 05:48 PM

Mikhail Bo-ryshnikov ... he'd make such an angry little ballet dancer. With a tutu. In pink.

Posted by: Maria | September 20, 2006 07:14 PM

I have no ideas to contribute to the plethora but I wanted to tell you that I have read your blog for a long, long time and you always have amused me. But this... this takes it. Seriously, you have outdone yourself. I laughed hysterically. You are just too awesome!

Posted by: Karen | September 21, 2006 05:06 AM

Little Bo Peep! Little Bo Peep!

Hehe - I said it;)

Posted by: Choochoo | September 21, 2006 09:24 AM

Bo Rito is my favorite. ;)

Why does Bo not get any valium. I think of the two of you, Bo might need it more. ha!

Posted by: carmen | September 21, 2006 09:37 AM

Surely you have thought of this, owning four dachsunds and all, but really, he would be the perfect Oscar Meyer Weinerdog. The most dachsund-appropriate costume ever, and think of all the neat condiments you could put on him :)

Posted by: karenology | September 21, 2006 10:36 AM

Thank you so, so much. This is exactly what I needed, right now. It's been a bitch of a day and seeing Bo's face on Jack Bauer made it all better.

Hey, when is 24 going to start again, anyway? All the other shows are starting back up!

Posted by: jennifer | September 21, 2006 01:46 PM

O...M...G...
It just hit me today at work, so here I am, sneakily using the office computer so I can post my thought. Here goes:
materials needed are
1 tube sock w/ strategic holes for Bo's legs
marker
1/2 in. craft foam, pref. white
silver paint
Bo
copius amounts of wine

drink glass of wine, insert Bo into tube sock. Bandage wounds, drink more wine. Mark sock along his length like a syringe...10cc, 20cc, and so on. Make 2 small circles of foam (like tu-tus) for his mid-section, and position them near his butt...these are the plunger and rim of the syringe Bo is rapidly becoming. Drink more wine, paint his face silver to mimic a needle (or just drink more wine and imagine it) and there you have it!

a syringe full of BO-tox.

Posted by: parp! | September 21, 2006 04:23 PM

Wow. You Americans are dead strange.

Posted by: wendywoo | September 21, 2006 05:42 PM

Miss Doxie!

I was just recently referred to your blog, listed as "a healthy dose of hilarious" and you definitely live up to that claim! I have a mini Dachshund/Chihuahua mix and the stories about your dogs are the best. Can't wait to see what Bo and the others end up dressing up as... :o)

Posted by: Stefanie | September 21, 2006 05:56 PM

Oh My! I love Bo-tox. You could use that color hair spray like they use in school plays. Have someone put on a disposable glove and cover his eyes and nose and spray his face lightly. Better ask the vet first. But Botox Hahahahahaha

Posted by: mackmomma | September 22, 2006 01:04 AM

Jack BOWer

Posted by: JB | September 22, 2006 04:34 AM

How about "Beelze-Bo?"

And the other three can be the Hounds of Hell.

>:)

Posted by: sunshine | September 22, 2006 11:46 AM

Clearly, we have far too much time on our (collective) hands. I suppose you could also go rather dirty and do a Bo-ner ...somehow. (Possibly with the cunning use of pink-ish stockings?) Sorry...dirty, yes, but it hadn't been done yet, so.

Posted by: Meepers | September 22, 2006 03:17 PM

Well, he IS a weenie dog...

Posted by: sunshine | September 22, 2006 03:52 PM

I think Little Bo Peep is the best suggestion so far. The others can be the lost sheep. Especially Gimme. They can all be lost at home while Bo is out hunting for them. Who doesn't like to see a male rigged out in female drag? It's what Philadelphia is all about on New Year's Day. See also: Mummer's Parade.

You could pull a little red wagon with a doll house on it and tell people it's Bo Radley, but he won't come out unless someone is getting stabbed.

Or you could dress all the dogs up as the Bono family: Sonny, Cher, Chastity (and the parenthetical stepbrother who came post-divorce.)

Posted by: Frog Princess | September 23, 2006 07:51 PM

Just found your page. It's brilliant. Our doxies are jesters on Halloween. It's random.

Posted by: michelle | September 24, 2006 11:47 PM

One of my doxies that passed a year ago was so cooperative with head gear and costumes. But he would only do it because it made 'the Mama' happy. Even while posing for photos that did not preclude the look of sheer humiliation on his face.

This is Otto wearing his witch hat:

"Is there no end to the ridiculous hats and costumes you make me wear?"

"If my buddies see this I'll never live it down."

Posted by: Denise Briner | September 25, 2006 08:15 AM

i applaud your enthusiasm for halloween and for dressing your dogs.

i went crazy! crazy! at Michaels and bought one of those horribly gaudy inflatable spheres with a witch inside and a spider on top. i tried putting up tons of decorations this weekend, but the hubby nipped that in the bud. says it's "tacky," or something like that. screw him, I SAY!

oh, and do you have any idea where i can get costumes for BIG BIG dogs? I have a 70 lb yellow lab and a 100+ lb german shepherd.

all i've found so far is a Chippendales costume that would fit them. right now i'm thinking they could be the Chris Farley and Patrick Swayze from the SNL Chippendales skit--the yellow lab is pretty chunky, but then again, that requires a great deal of explanation.

Posted by: Kirsten | September 25, 2006 11:21 AM

Ah fall. It's that time of year: dog costume creation. I swear it was an accident that my Google search popped up this gem of a link. It was no accident that I spent an hour clicking through and giggling, but it was n unintentional landing. I swear. Enjoy:

Posted by: Miss Jane Brodie | September 25, 2006 09:32 PM

I say you get revenge and make him into a giant foam turd.

Posted by: Trance | September 26, 2006 10:43 AM

www.pawpalaceonline.com

And if you make Bo a giant foam turd, be sure to include a small spray bottle of the famous eau de Bo along with the costume.

Posted by: Gayle Miller | September 26, 2006 11:41 AM

Great ideas! I love Bo Duke, I can definitely see it. And I think he has the attitude to pull off Bono.

Did anyone say T-BO-ne steak? I think Bo would love this costume, although you would have to convince him not to eat it.

Posted by: Suz | September 26, 2006 01:43 PM

I think the Bo Derek is THE way to go.

And good luck with that.

Posted by: kerewin | September 27, 2006 12:42 AM

greatest. costume. ideas. EVAH.

i'd pick the one with extra valium(it doesn't matter which you select, so long as there's VALIUM)!

Posted by: sweetney | September 27, 2006 12:09 PM

Bo Derek and Bo Rito. I'm lovin em both. Thanks as always for cracking me the hell up.

Posted by: Jen | September 28, 2006 08:36 AM

Can't remember if anyone has done Bo-no? Because then the rest of the dogs could be U2. Gimmme could be The Edge (with a little hat and glasses), Tasha could be Adam Clayton, playing his guitar naked, and... I can never remember the name of the other guy. But it would definately need to be back in the 80s with the mullets.

Posted by: Laura | September 28, 2006 11:07 AM

Ok, so this is SORT OF out there. But the other day, a pal was talking about Bodgega Bay. And I said "Wait, isn't that where "The Birds" happened?" And I was correct. And then I thought of the Bo costume entry. And then of the time your house was attacked by "The Birds". And so it is fated:

BO-dega Bay: Bo wears a blue suit, a blonde wig (a must for Hitchcock), and then you see if you can track down those scary little birds again and have them fly all around.

Done and done!

Posted by: Kristina | September 28, 2006 10:42 PM

I am too lazy to read the 77 comments before mine (so forgive me if this has already been suggested), but, really... what about Napoleon BOnaparte?

They are the same size.

Posted by: Kristin | September 29, 2006 12:14 PM

I almost bought Lola a moose costume. I saw the humor - she didn't. I saw a fireman costume for Ernie - again he didn't see the humor. Chance would probably react as Bo has if I tried to put a costume on him. Darn doxies don't they know they look so cute all dressed up.

Posted by: Sami | September 29, 2006 08:22 PM

Good god, woman, have you gone and done died? Where you at?

Posted by: missbanshee | October 1, 2006 12:24 AM

How about putting him in a tuxedo and calling him Double-Bo 7?

Posted by: bad penguin | October 2, 2006 10:14 AM