« And Then Kubla Khan Said We Should All Just Look At A Puppy | Main | Not Cool »

Hell Freezes Over; Dukay Responsible

July 31, 2006

Well, people, let us all stop what we are doing and issue a collective gasp of shock and disbelief, because El Dukay, the man that I date, the boy that I love, has finally, FINALLY written his "How We Met Story."

Yes. I will give you a second to pick your jaws off of the floor.

(I would also like to add that this should cut my incoming email down by roughly 14,000%, because the number of requests for this story boggles the mind. BOGGLES.)

So, here it is, punctuated maybe on occasion by my own commentary, which is in bold, because WTF, DUKAY? But for the most part, it is very sweet, and he is a cutie pants, and he is also completely insane, because Dukay, did I just seriously have to edit your home address out of this story? I totally did. Poor Dukay does not understand the internet. I think we should all be glad that he did not add a paragraph listing all our social security and credit card numbers. So adorably trusting, my little snookums! So adorably not worried about a crazed murderer showing up on our doorsteps, clutching nothing but a hatchet and a doll made of human hair!

But, uh. Anyway. So, here it is. Did you want some cheesy college romance for your monday? Because baby, that is what you're about to get.

So... How did Miss Doxie & El Dukay meet?
by El Dukay

It all began my freshman year. We lived in a dorm that was in between the graduate student parking lot and the main part of the North Campus, where the school of law was located. We lived on the bottom floor of the dorm, and had a large window that overlooked the walkway.

My dorm roommate and I would be hanging out watching TV in our boxers. (Pants must come off when you are sitting around in the dorm room. Too much constriction.) We'd be there most afternoons, and so every day, we'd see the law students walking down to their cars.

One day, we looked out the window, and saw this gorgeous blond walking by. We rushed over in our boxers, and gawked, stared, drooled... whatever you want to call it. She was smoking hot, and had platinum blond hair. Being very creative, we named her "Hot Girl."

Seeing Hot Girl became our daily routine. I actually looked forward to this part of my day. It was nice relief from pledge training and classes. One day, Hot Girl walked by, and I turned and announced to my roommate that, "One day, she will be mine...Oh yes, she will be mine."

He said, "Whatever dude. You wish."

Time passed, and I finished my freshman year, and figured I would never see Hot Girl again. I never knew who she was.

Meanwhile, Ziz (Doxie's sister) and I had always stayed in touch over IM and email. We had been good friends in middle and high school. She said that she had a sister I should meet in law school. She told her sister that she had an undergrad friend who would be a fun person to meet. She thought we might have fun getting together for coffee or something; she didn't think it would be some big date. I'd never seen Doxie before, and had no idea who she was. By this point, she was finishing up law school, and I was finishing college.

(Edit by Miss Doxie: Ziz reports that Dukay jokingly asked her if her sister was hot. According to Ziz, she told him that I looked a lot better "now that she's had the Procedure," but that she declined to elaborate.)

Doxie was always busy, and was finishing up her last year of law school, so a lot of conflicting schedules had to be worked out. Finally, I convinced Miss Doxie to meet me for a drink. I told her that I would meet her up at 283, a bar in downtown Athens. I also told her that I would have on a pink button down shirt. (Yes... pink.)

So we set up the time. She was a little early, and I found out later that a scuzzy man in a pink shirt tried to hit on her before I got there. This worked in my favor. It set the bar of expectations much lower than they would have been previously. I would love to say that he was a mark put there by me, but he wasn't. I'm not that clever. (MD: My first pink shirt date had three whole teeth!)

When I walked in, I looked around the room. And there, looking at me and waving...was HOT GIRL.

I couldn't believe it. Ziz's sister was Hot Girl. I had no idea.

Obviously, I had to impress. There was no other option. We sat and had a couple of drinks and talked about all sorts of things. I suggested we go to a different bar, so we went somewhere with better wine. We kept talking, all the first date stuff. It turned out that she is the complete package. The rare, perfect combination of brains and beauty that you can never find together in one person. She was sweet and gentle with this ass-kicking exterior. She wore knee high stiletto black leather boots with everything - always. She loved animals. She had the greatest sense of humor and actually liked me. I had definitely out-kicked my coverage. (Women everywhere may want to ask their men friends what that means in this context.)

Afterwards, we walked to a bar with live acoustic music and tons of beer on tap. We sat down and this dude carrying a few bars of soap on a rope came up to us. He immediately hit on my date. I wasn't going to be an ass - after all, she was the most beautiful girl that had ever graced this place and who could blame him, really? Hell, I would have hit on her too. And yes - there really is such a thing as soap on a rope. I never thought it existed. Well, it does! I've seen it with my own two eyes!

Instead of telling this guy to fuck off, I started talking to him. Just asking him questions about everything. He liked talking about himself.

(MD: Dude, did he EVER. We spent an hour of our first date listening to a SOAP ON A ROPE salesman talk about his benefits plan. Who the fuck does that happen to? WHO?)

I decided to tell him that we were on our first date, and how I'd always known Doxie as Hot Girl. He liked the story and was really happy to be a part of it. He gave Doxie a free soap on a rope, and I bought him a beer.

We were ready to get out of there, so I told Doxie that a good friend's band was playing at another bar. They were a great Latin calypso jazz band playing originals and covers of groups like John Scofield and Micheal Camillo. They even had a steel drum player. We went and enjoyed the show (MD: People, herein we establish, once again, the disconnect between Dukay's music and my own music. To say that I "enjoyed" this show is a very bold statement, indeed. Let us instead say "I did not die during that show, but I thought about killing myself with a swizzle stick, because I do not like jam bands, at all, ever, and maybe I am only now admitting that I hated that concert." Hi, baby! I HATE THAT BAND. But I love you! Kisses!)

The show ended, and we talked a little more, and called it a night. No kiss, just a hug. (MD: Look at Dukay with the detail! I can't wait till he gets to the first time we Did It.)(Dear Mom: We have never Done It.) I made sure to walk her to her car and then walked back over to mine.

We stayed in touch for a while, but she was on the tail end of exams, and was busy with other things. We met up a few times and went on a few friend-like dates. Never any kisses. Her law school friends referred to me as "Junior" because I was so much younger than her. Four years younger, to be exact. So finally, two or three months after I'd first met her, I decided to have my dad come up to town to see the same live jazz band Doxie and I had seen on our first date, and to take both him and Doxie to dinner. (MD: And who agreed to see that awful band again? I did, people. Obviously, I was blinded by love.)

That night, I held her hand under the table at dinner. A true "G" rating. (MD: Holy shit, we were ten years old, apparently. Then we traded stickers!) We went across the street for the live show, which was awesome. (MD: ... ) Afterwards, we all went back to my house. We were standing around talking when my dad suddenly decided to give us a little alone time. So out of nowhere, he said, "Uh...I gotta go get some donuts! I'll be back in a few." He walked out. (MD: This was the most hilariously obvious move of all time, but I am 100% in favor of anything involving donuts.)

After he left, I pulled the single greatest "move" of my life. I was at one with The FORCE.

You men out there - this is top secret shit.

Use it wisely.

(MD: People, he is really, REALLY proud of this little shenanigan. Can you tell?)

I had never tried this before but it just came to me in a split second. We really were into each other - yet had never kissed - just hugs and now some hand holding. So she leans in to kiss me good night. And I kissed her for a second or two, and then...... I pulled away. (MD: WTF?) I said that I really liked her, and that we should do it again soon. And then I walked her to her car and she went home. (MD: RAGE. This is how I felt at that moment: RAGE.)

For two weeks, I didn't hear anything from her. I wondered if I'd ruined everything.

I later found out that the seed I planted with the "pull away" was much stronger than a kiss could have ever been. The FORCE was harnessed. It was, in fact, brilliant. I occupied her thoughts. She was thinking, "Who is this little shit that pulled away from me? Who in the HELL does he think he IS? NOBODY pulls away from ME!"

(MD: Now, this makes me sound like a big old vain something or other. But...well, yeah, I guess I am a big old vain something or other, because a COLLEGE kid wouldn't KISS me? Are you fucking KIDDING? He is supposed to me MADE of hormones and erections! This guy's mission statement is supposed to be "Getting to Third Base" and he won't KISS me?

Meanwhile, my friends thought this was the funniest shit they'd ever heard of in their lives, and were all, "Maybe he's saving himself for the prom!" and "I can't believe you kissed him. His parents are NEVER going to let you babysit again!")

Her friends felt the same way.

(MD: Hee).

Needless to say, we somehow wound up running into each other, and I took her out to dinner. Soon, we were spending a lot of time with each other. I began to notice little things about her. Like, that she never ate the end of a french fry. She said the rest of the fry tastes better. Still to this day, when she finishes eating fries, there are all these little pieces of the ends of the fries left on her plate. Almost like seeds from grapes, shells from peanuts, or the tops of strawberries. But she eats the OTHER end of the fry. I am still completely befuddled.

But from then on - we made a perfect match. And it all started with meeting "Hot Girl" in person at 283 in Athens, on a blind date. After all those years, I was right. She IS mine. I love her with all my heart.

(MD: Aw, and I love him too. But I still don't love his music.)

So, there you have it, people! And that is how we went from this...

2002.JPG
Doxie and Dukay in 2002

to this:

2006.JPG
Dukay and Doxie in 2006

In four or so years. And hopefully, for many more...so long as he never makes me listen to a steel drum band covering Metallica songs ever, ever again.

And, so, now you know our story. And thus ends the schmoopy! I've got a lot for this site this week, actually, so I should be updating again soon; in the meantime, everyone have a good day, and special snuggly thanks to Dukay, for finally telling his story. Kisses to everyone!

Posted by doxie in That Stupid Thing El Dukay Did | permalink

oh my god-- they have to remake "When Harry Met Sally" because THIS, THIS must be in the 'how we met' stories.

God, pick me up off the floor, Hot Girl and Junior-- you slay me, damn you both. god. GOD.

I'm gonna go read it again . . .

Posted by: Elizabeth | July 31, 2006 01:58 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! SCHMOOPIE ALERT! You guys are sooo cuuute! Thanks Dukay for the story - I'm so glad y'all got your dream girl.

PS. Baby Puppy Jackson is KILLING ME with his cuteness. My whole office is squeeee!ing over him. I can't wait till he grows up and turns into Bo version 2.0.

Posted by: Meepers | July 31, 2006 02:08 PM

You two make me happy. Also, you make me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants. Almost.

Posted by: reluctant housewife | July 31, 2006 02:11 PM

dukay is a younger man?! this changes everything.

Posted by: Cat, Galloping | July 31, 2006 02:20 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

And, steel band covering Metallica??? WTF, indeed.

Posted by: Sparkles Anon! | July 31, 2006 02:23 PM

Sooo sweet. My teeth hurt it's so sweet.

Posted by: HollyRhea | July 31, 2006 02:23 PM

OMG....It has FINALLY come to pass!!! The "How We Met" story!!!

Seriously, your story is so sweet I am dialing the Dentist as I type. Good for the two of you!!!

Posted by: Lisa | July 31, 2006 02:24 PM

That is so cute. You are HOT GIRL. Though, if my boyfriend took me to hear a band that plays Metallica on steel drums - I don't think he'd be my boyfriend anymore. It's a good thing Dukay is so damn cute.

And my boyfriend is younger too. Younger men rock - that is, unless you want to get married soon. Then they get all scared and stupid. ;)

Posted by: Lani | July 31, 2006 02:40 PM

God I've just been killed with the cuteness. Someone please cremate me and sprinkle me somewhere pretty.

Posted by: Nancy | July 31, 2006 02:41 PM

AWWWWWW. So cute! And you're much braver than I, Miss Doxie, because no way would I have dated a guy 4 years younger! My hubbie is 9 years older! :-)

Posted by: Peyton | July 31, 2006 02:58 PM

Awesome story. And now I can stop sending daily mails to Doxie.

Posted by: z. | July 31, 2006 02:59 PM

Dukay, you are as cute and funny as your lovely girlfriend. I expect more from you, young man.

(Another smooth move, for all you lonely Doxie readers: If you want to hit on a girl in a bar, but not, you know, 'hit on a girl in a bar', go ask her for the time, look concerned, smile distractedly, and go back to your own seat. She'll be overcome with curiosity and pity, and your work will be done. Apparently.)

Posted by: Chryseis | July 31, 2006 03:00 PM

Precious. It also gives me hope that perhaps the same thing shall happen for me and one of the many Hot Boys I have in my life.

Posted by: Rachael | July 31, 2006 03:08 PM

Cutest story ever, really really.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place at my fellow law students. I want a JUNIOR!

Posted by: Banana Esq | July 31, 2006 03:09 PM

That is the most sacchrine filled story, ever. I am gagging from the cuteness. But, really? Do steel drum Metallica cover bands exist? 'Cause they shouldn't.

Posted by: Lauren | July 31, 2006 03:09 PM

Aw, that is so sweet that I have tears in my eyes!

You two, gasp, are the cutest, sniffle, things ever!

So when are you getting married?

(it's because I'm evil)

Posted by: Mrs.MGA | July 31, 2006 03:15 PM

I'm with Dukay, Steel Drum Bands covering Metallica rawk!!!

However I will forgive the sacrelidgeous comments from you, Miss Doxie, and the other heathens.

Keep trying Dukay, someday love will conquer all objections!!!

Posted by: sumsunshyne | July 31, 2006 03:18 PM

That was a great story Dukay!! Bout damn time. Coincidences abound: I'm a cradle robber too. My husband is 5 years younger than me. And my 5 y/o son pinches BOTH ends off of his french fries before he eats them, because he "doesn't like the crunchy parts". I thought he was unique!

Posted by: Catherino | July 31, 2006 03:38 PM

Yep, fell for the same "pull away". Husband didn't kiss me for 5 dates. FIVE. He called it "NTA": Not Totally Available.

I call it bullshit.

But? It totally worked. :) Awesome story.

Posted by: Pammer | July 31, 2006 03:41 PM

I am gasping and suffocating from the extreme adorableness and hilarity of this story--particularly the awkward donut mission of The Dukay's Father! I may even have chortled once!

Posted by: Angela | July 31, 2006 03:42 PM

Gah. So cute.
I think I'm dying.

Posted by: Sarah-Rose | July 31, 2006 03:47 PM

You guys are both just too adorable for words.

Posted by: TB | July 31, 2006 03:50 PM

Aw, what a cute story. It was fate! (if you believe in that...)

Posted by: Jen | July 31, 2006 04:04 PM

Dukay totally needs his own blog. He would bring a new perspective to the whole live journal thing. Especially since he thinks that putting "top secret shit" on the internet is possible.

Way to go Dukay! Congrats on finally telling the story and for landing the hot girl!

Posted by: Ashley | July 31, 2006 04:23 PM

Is Dukay wearing a Panic shirt? Love it.

Posted by: KMM | July 31, 2006 04:41 PM

Sooooo cute. Love it! had to read it aloud to my guy, who laughed a lot and had no clue what the reference to out-kicked coverage was. :)

Posted by: Jen | July 31, 2006 04:52 PM

AWWWW!!!!

After reading all that lovely, tender, schmoopieness, I have only one thing to say...

"Participating eyebrow."

Darn you, Doxie. Darn you all to heck.

Posted by: LadyBug | July 31, 2006 04:59 PM

Adorable story, loved it. You guys make a great couple.

Posted by: Radiantsky | July 31, 2006 05:15 PM

Well, finally!!!!! But, Dukay, it was worth it! Doxie was Hot Girl! I'm shaking my head by the sheer brilliance, sweetness, and slight dorkiness of the story.

So. You know? You'll have to write another story. soon.

Jeez, you two should write a book together.

Posted by: shaxgirl | July 31, 2006 05:21 PM

That was a great story!! You two are so cute!

Posted by: Amy | July 31, 2006 05:26 PM

Aww! I am all ferklempt. What a lovely story (FINALLY). hee hee

Posted by: Lori | July 31, 2006 06:39 PM

Great story, Dukay and Doxie -- but what I want to know is what was Dukay's college roomate's reaction when he found out Dukay really DID get "Hot Girl" (after his pronouncement on that fateful day that "one day she would be his?")

Posted by: Jen | July 31, 2006 06:40 PM

Gah, my boy got me with the same trick! The worst thing was - I'd taken him home for a one nighter. And he came home with me. And then did NOTHING!!! Man, was I angry. Over 3 years later and I'm still all WTF?!?

Its pure evil really.

Posted by: suburban_lush | July 31, 2006 07:06 PM

OMG, I EAT MY FRENCH FRIES THAT WAY TOO! And yes, I totally just annoyingly typed that in all caps. And my husband thought I was weird. Whew buddy! Can't wait to show him this!

Posted by: FourThumbsUp | July 31, 2006 08:25 PM

Oh lordy, you had me at "trading stickers." Awesome telling of The Tale of How We Met.

Posted by: Velma | July 31, 2006 08:26 PM

OH! Forgot! Thanks Dukay for fiiiiiiiinally writing the story. It was very sweet. Really.

Posted by: FourThumbsUp | July 31, 2006 08:27 PM

I did the pull-away thing after I first kissed my now-wife on our third date (and we're kinda both do-it-on-the-first-date kind of people), and she had the same reaction you did. It's a secret weapon, people, and has great power. Smart man.

Posted by: Rachael | July 31, 2006 08:41 PM

Hosanna! Hosanna! God be praised! The "story" at last. Very sweet. But I would also like to know the roomates reaction to Dukay getting Hotgirl. Please update soon.

Posted by: mackmomma | July 31, 2006 09:06 PM

YAY! I thought this story was a myth...a promise that Dukay would never fulfill...it was a great read .

Posted by: Jeanne | July 31, 2006 10:03 PM

Awwww! Kudos to El Dukay for getting the story written, now that I've picked my jaw up! Between El Dukay's writing and Doxie's hilarious comments, you two sound like a great match! Well, minus the jam bad that is...lol

Posted by: Ivie | July 31, 2006 10:04 PM

By the way - I know it's only been 4 years, but you guys haven't changed at all. I think that you'll be the same way in 40 years and it'll be like Dick Clark, except that you are a couple! ;)

Posted by: Lani | July 31, 2006 10:04 PM

jam BAND that is - minus an "n" apparently :)

Posted by: Ivie | July 31, 2006 10:12 PM

He finally did it! Awesome! Great story!

Posted by: Ro | July 31, 2006 10:54 PM

Yay!! I thought it this story had gone the way of Jimmy Hoffa.

My BF did that pulling away shit, then had the nerve to say I WAS THE ONE who did it. WTF?!?

I had vowed silently to myself that I would not do it with him until at least the 5th date, but he had lulled me into a false sense of security, and he got it on the 2nd.

There's another top secret for you.

Thanks El Dukay...great story!

Posted by: a horrible warning | July 31, 2006 11:07 PM

Yay for cool meeting in Athens story. Meeting in Athens must involve bands with steel drums!

What's that place called with the feta fries?

Posted by: Kristen | July 31, 2006 11:47 PM

Very sweet. I am a cradle robber myself (husband seven years younger than I). On our first "real" date I took him to the opera (one of my gay friends was in it). Maybe being willing to put up with music you loathe is a good sign.

Thanks for the story and the puppy photos and Doxieness in all its glorious forms.

Posted by: Spizz | August 1, 2006 12:27 AM

Brilliant story. Brilliant.

However, I must express dismay:

MD:

How the fuck am I supposed to fulfil my weekend now? Left with a hatchet, a doll made purely of the finest "souvenir" hair and NO bloody place to go.
Outrageous.

Posted by: daniel | August 1, 2006 12:42 AM

Good Christ, you two are damn cute!

Posted by: Anne L. | August 1, 2006 12:46 AM

Hot Girl . . . I love it. Ben and I are married because of the books "I, Claudius by Robert Graves and "Ulysses" by James Joyce (we both hate the latter and adore the former). HOW GEEKY CAN YOU GET? Also, I used to go into his office in short skirts and bend over all the time. And after a while he wondered why I always had to come in every two hours to pick a file up from his floor. (This was before he ruined my body with three pregnancies.)

Miss you, Leigh! Looking forward to more entries.

Posted by: Gretchen | August 1, 2006 04:08 AM

You two are barfingly adorable together. Great story.

And two entries? On one page? At the same time? Hell definitely has frozen over! ;)

Posted by: RSM | August 1, 2006 07:52 AM

Awwww....what a cute story. Glad to see "the force" still has you in its grip.

Posted by: Frank | August 1, 2006 08:05 AM

Aww! This is so cute! It's dorky cuteness, the one i REALLY like! Now I feel all fuzzy inside! Thanks you guys!

Posted by: Valerie | August 1, 2006 09:40 AM

FINALLY!!!! Very schmoopy and sweet!!! I have to say that younger men rock - and I speak from experience. My lovely man is also 4 years younger than me and delightful in his own schmoopy and yet still slightly frustrating way.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Diane | August 1, 2006 09:41 AM

Finally! (I'm proud to say though, that although I've been waiting impatiently, I didn't actually email to bug you about it. I have some restraint apparently.)

What a cute story! I love "how we met each other" stories, oh, so much.

Posted by: Jessie | August 1, 2006 10:24 AM

And here I thought (and my husband along with me) that I was the only psychotic that avoided what I (fondly) refer to as 'French fry butts'. He always stares blankly at my potato carnage after we eat, shakes his head and looks at me sadly. WHAT?!?

'Hot girl'... I used to name guys I went out with that way, but Dukay was luckier than I was... I didn't have 'hot guy', I had such lovelies as 'commando man' and 'stalker boy'.

Great story, Doxie. Good job on getting Dukay to finally write it out.

Posted by: Nola | August 1, 2006 10:33 AM

Kristen, that's the Grill. I just had those feta fries the other day. So good!

Also, cute story! I like that I work in the same area as the Site Where Love Grew.

Posted by: Jen Z. | August 1, 2006 11:03 AM

I'm starting to believe that Athens is just a magical city where love grows. Jen Z and I grew some love there this weekend. And some drunk.

Also, how is it that I never heard the Hot Girl detail of this story before now? That element makes everything even more gooey and precious.

Posted by: Robyn | August 1, 2006 11:42 AM

Yay. Just... yay.

Posted by: sortasandy | August 1, 2006 12:00 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwww!

Dukay loves Doxie 4-ever!!!

This story was
2 good
2 be
4 gotten!

So...Dukay...when are you going to make Hot Girl Hot Wife, hmmmmmmmm? Poo or get off the pot, Mr. Man.

Posted by: CamelToeJones | August 1, 2006 12:27 PM

Awww, what a cute story!

Posted by: PavoReal | August 1, 2006 01:11 PM

So when are you two getting married?

Posted by: brighton | August 1, 2006 01:12 PM

That was absolutely worth the wait! Incredibly well told and entertaining story. :-)

Posted by: Polichick | August 1, 2006 01:47 PM

I'm still waiting to learn more about the donuts. Did Mr. El Dukay ever return? Were there tasty donut snacks? Focus, People!

Posted by: JBM | August 1, 2006 03:46 PM

Hey, Miss Doxie-
I just discovered your blog and I love it! I too went to grad school at UGA, but for Spanish, not law (I am what my engineer father-in-law likes to refer to as "artsy-fartsy" or "frou-frou").

And I, too, like to offer my humble gifts of humor from here in "Hotlanta" (well, Duluth, really, but close enough) on my blog, "Using My Powers For Good."

Jenny

Posted by: Jenny Ryan | August 1, 2006 03:57 PM

Can I just point out for the record that it was NOT I who posted the "poo or get off the pot" comment? But also, HA!

Posted by: Robyn | August 1, 2006 04:12 PM

Man, you guys make me wanna go straight home and watch a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie!

Thanks for FINALLY postin' the story, Dukay! And as for younger men, why should Cher be the only one havin' all the fun?

Posted by: Wubba | August 1, 2006 04:37 PM

I love this story and I'm so glad Dukay finally wrote it.

But wait, I have a question. I was always under the impression that you guys first met on New Year's Eve. Am I wrong? Did I imagine that you said that somewhere along the way?

Posted by: Corey | August 1, 2006 06:37 PM

SQUEEEEEE!!!!
That's all I can stand right now. Melting in the sugar puddle. :)

But what is that "out-kicked my coverage" thing? I'm a loser that has no clue. Someone help!

Posted by: B.J. | August 1, 2006 07:08 PM

Hehehehe... that's so cute.

And I also just have to remark that guys that are 4 years younger ROCK! *clings to mine*

Posted by: Aerandir | August 1, 2006 08:39 PM

Question: Did you notice that in the two pics of you and Dukay that they are both labelled backwards? (assuming we are labelling and reading left to right...) You're all backwards Miss Doxie!! ;)

Posted by: Lani | August 1, 2006 09:09 PM

So hell did, in fact, freeze over. Does this mean I can blame Dukay for this god awful heat? hah ;)

I have a friend that REFUSES to eat pointy fries.
Silly girls... silly girls...

Posted by: kristachio | August 1, 2006 09:15 PM

How sweet! You guys are too cute.

Posted by: Mrs X | August 2, 2006 01:34 AM

OMG. My first time here. Miss D is so funny and charming and altogether lovely, and Dukay is supremely sexy. sigh. I'm jealous. But not too much, because you really look happy together.

But I would like to request first dibs on any Dukay clones that may be produced.

Now I sound like a scary stalker...**rolls eyes**

Thanks for the smiles and the laughs.

Posted by: April | August 2, 2006 05:50 AM

Well, I can stop reading now because we got "the story" ;)

Posted by: carmen | August 2, 2006 08:15 AM

Okay, I HAVE to take a stab at the "outkicked his coverage" remark. Perhaps he "is out of his league" or she is way "too good for him" or perhaps he feels somehow inferior to her: socially, education, or age wise. If none of these, meh, I got nothin'. Must go inject insulin now - sugar overload from "how we met" story.

Posted by: Daffy | August 2, 2006 09:40 AM

Oh! I'm so happy your e-mail will finally be back to a manageable level. Bravo, Dukay, you and your pull-away studly self. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks aren't good enough to play y'all. Schmoopy indeed!

Posted by: Miss Fish | August 2, 2006 12:35 PM

hey, i found you through Gypsy.

i have been meaning to keep up w/your blog, after dying laughing at your post about how you give your dogs a bath. seriously, i almost died. i forwarded it on to so many friends!

anyway, this post is so sweet and hilarious, thanks to your comments. what a super story!!!

that music sounds atrociously bad.

you look REALLY familiar to me. i wonder if we have met.....seriously, i am trying to rack my brain.

and no, i don't have a hatchet or a doll made of human hair. just a boston terrier. :)

Posted by: Virginia Belle | August 2, 2006 12:56 PM

I think I might have just had to kill him after he pulled away like that...LOL...the force...too cute.
Loved this story.

Posted by: KaraMia | August 2, 2006 03:54 PM

Awwwwww......

Posted by: liz | August 2, 2006 05:35 PM

Younger men rock!! My hubby is almost 4 years younger than me. His mom, married to a man 5 years her junior.

Posted by: Beth | August 2, 2006 06:08 PM

Great story! What a lovely couple!! :)

Posted by: Lilie | August 2, 2006 06:15 PM

I get a strong Alex P. Keaton vibe from you, Dukay. Am I close?

Posted by: Dad Gone Mad | August 2, 2006 11:25 PM

That is awesome! I'm so glad he finally wrote about how you two met.

PS: I won't eat the ends of hotdogs and it baffles my boyfriend, he says I'm weird. It's good to see someone else in the world who won't eat the end of something. Hrm, that didn't seem to come out right. I have been known for leaving the ends of my fries too, well, mostly the parts with no cheese on them. haha

Posted by: Brandy | August 3, 2006 04:57 PM

Yeah. I'm not even a guy and I want to try the move out on some chick.

Awesome, dude.

(also, yes, very sweet and schmoopy and a love story for the ages and all that)

Posted by: Contrary | August 3, 2006 09:22 PM

yay, story! I can only guess that "outkicking coverage" is some sports metaphor...

have a good weekend!

Posted by: kitty121 | August 4, 2006 01:26 PM

Oh my puppies! Schmoopy abounds! And will be followed with very nosy and intrusive "when are you getting married now because all the world wants to know yes all the world".

but seriously. younger guys are the way to go.
*points to husband*

yeah. they have the Force.

Doxie will always=Hot Girl. Even at 80, prolly.

Posted by: Kristina | August 4, 2006 11:34 PM

Hello. New reader and first time commenter. Since I am so often bored unto the point of death at work, I found time to read all your archives and laughed so much I was often in danger of getting fired. Thanks!

Now, apparently, my life wants to mimic parts of yours! I had a very 'Miss Doxie' day yesterday and I only wish I wrote as well as you do to tell the tale...

Posted by: Liosliath | August 6, 2006 11:29 AM

Awwww. That was so cute. What a good Dukay. So I have a question. Is Dukay a lawyer too? And when are ya'll getting married? What too personal? Sorry I have no built-in approprite meter:)

Posted by: Bethany Coffey | August 6, 2006 12:15 PM

Thanks Dukay, great story.

My boyfriend used the pulling away tactic as well. They are learning tricks to devastate womankind! We should put out some kind of alert.

Posted by: LĂ©onie | August 7, 2006 05:51 AM

I totally stole this online: "In football, it's said that you "outkick your coverage" when you punt the ball too far downfield, which permits the return team to set up a big run." I'm not exactly sure how that relates to the story but then again, I'm just a girl...

Posted by: Debra | August 7, 2006 12:14 PM

Heyyyyyyy everyone!

For an answer to the "when are y'all getting married" question, see Miss Doxie's FAQ entry from a few months ago.

Hope that helps!

Posted by: Cassiopeia | August 7, 2006 07:34 PM

way cute story.

I eat my fries the same way. everyone thinks it's weird. at least i'm not alone. :-)

Posted by: Crystal | August 8, 2006 08:30 AM

I'm guessing that when you outkick your coverage, it's about the same thing as your mouth writing a check that your ass can't cover? Ah, colloquialisms. Awesome story. I still can't believe he finished it. But it isn't finished, is it?

Posted by: laura | August 8, 2006 05:12 PM

Dude, that pull-away move is so RIGHT ON. I keep telling my guy friends that women are so used to being pursued that it blows their minds when a man shows restraint. Unfortunately my guy friends are too horny to care and will thus end up single forever. At least I've finally convinced them to wear cologne. That's something.

Anyway! Cute story, Hot Girl. :)

Posted by: Schnozz | August 8, 2006 05:34 PM

um, i have a friend that doesn't eat the ends of fries because her fingers were touching them and she's got a hint of the OCD.

but that aside, how achey were your loins after that f*cked up yet so brilliant (but only if a girl does it) pull-away move??! bastard.

arf!

Posted by: kelly | August 9, 2006 02:15 PM

Dude, i just read your little q&a session and I had no idea you were so tall. I had always imagined you as wee and tiny...i'm so very thrown.

Posted by: Bethany Coffey | August 9, 2006 09:33 PM

I'm late, but this was a pleasure to read.

Posted by: dutch from sweetjuniper | August 10, 2006 02:35 AM

It hardly seems fair that the funniest writer I discovered recently has the MOST outrageously adorable boyfriend on Planet Earth!

Posted by: Gayle Miller | August 11, 2006 03:23 PM