« Apparently, I Just Broke | Main | Scary Beach Crime Scene Photos; Pandering; Hello! »

This Post Is Brought To You By The Fact That The Power Finally Came Back On In The Fucking Hotel

August 30, 2005

Well, HI, y'all! Guess where I am. No, wait. Guess where I am supposed to be.

If you guessed, "on vacation," you would be right. That is where I am supposed to be, on vacation in Gulf Shores. And that is where we have been trying to get, my family and myself, only we are not there. Not even slightly! Instead, we are holed up in a hotel in Birmingham, where we have been for, oh, FIVE DAYS, sometimes without power, most times without cell phones. And that was fun.

It's really not that bad, considering the NIGHTMARE of this storm, and how much trouble other poor people are having. I mean, we have shelter, and an operational bar. Plus, we are with awesome people, because we were all here for a wedding anyway. And the wedding people were So Much Fun (hi, Babs!), and it was just a good time, you know, until a big old hurricane came and BLEW AWAY ALL OF THEIR HOUSES, I AM NOT KIDDING YOU. The majority of the other guests here HAVE HAD THEIR HOUSES BLOWN AWAY.

Everyone is handling this remarkably well, because that is just what classy ladies do, apparently. That is not what I would do, because I am, evidently, not a classy lady. If my house blew away, a la Dorothy/Oz/Big Bad Wolf/"huff and puff" etc., I would:

1. Freak THE HELL out;
2. Drink SO MUCH;
3. Yell at everyone;
4. Max out all credit cards buying pointless items like legwarmers and gloves with no fingers, slap bracelets, capelets;
5. Drink more;
6. Pass out in puddle of own tears.

But that is just me. I do not handle adversity well. Did you maybe guess?

Anyway, I'll be in touch more when we are allowed to, you know, leave, and when the internet connection isn't dying out every nineteen seconds. In the meantime, please send happy thoughts and prayers to those good people who are dealing with this DAMN STORM.

And someone? Someone send me a drink.

Oh My God what a nightmare. I think your reactions are absolutely the most normal...

Posted by: birdy | August 30, 2005 11:36 AM

I lord, I am feeling for you. What kind of drink would you like??

Posted by: JuJuBee | August 30, 2005 11:40 AM

Hang in there, sister.

Posted by: Heather | August 30, 2005 11:41 AM

You should go visit Zoot =)

Posted by: Mer | August 30, 2005 11:51 AM

Ack. Thank GOD the bar is operational.

Posted by: Gretchen C. | August 30, 2005 12:26 PM

Girl, you're still in my home town and I didn't even know? We'll be there this weekend, if you're still around.

Posted by: Al | August 30, 2005 12:40 PM

Ooh! Have a drink for me too! I'd much rather be drinking right now than working. Good luck getting home soon.

Posted by: Jessie | August 30, 2005 01:07 PM

Poor doxie,

Bad things always happen to you or whatever you plan to do. Let us know when you go on a trip beforehand so we can make sure we go the other way! ;)

psuche

Posted by: Psuche | August 30, 2005 01:09 PM

Oh, thank goodness you and your family are okay. And those poor folks whose houses were blown away! Warm fuzzies and cold drinks all around!

Posted by: LadyBug | August 30, 2005 01:42 PM

As always, I send you virtual wine and cute shoes.

Glad you are at least with people who are fun. That's something!

Posted by: Em | August 30, 2005 01:57 PM

Yes, in times of natural disaster, "legwarmers and gloves with no fingers, slap bracelets, capelets" all come in soooo handy! lol Anyway, hang in there....virtual margarita to you from me!

Posted by: ishouldbeworking | August 30, 2005 02:16 PM

Hope that the rest of your trip improves. I have to ask though, did you catch the dramatic conclusion of R. Kelly's "Closet" series on the VMA's? It was REALLY SOMETHING. He did a one man show, lip syncing and all. It was priceless. And very long. And kind of creepy. And he was pretending to be a gay man named Chuck. 'Nuff said. ;)

Posted by: RadiantSky | August 30, 2005 03:07 PM

I, too, will be in Al's hometown this weekend for a wedding. I see cocktails in our future.

Posted by: Robyn | August 30, 2005 03:11 PM

It's a bad day when you consider that your house may be gone but you're alive...

Glad you didn't get stuck in the bad area.

Let everyone around you know everyone's thinking about them and feeling for them.

Posted by: Bonanza Jellybean | August 30, 2005 03:48 PM

From 3 parishes north of the stricken city of New Orleans, I thank you for the good thoughts. We are okay and planning to be part of the rescue efforts as soon as the roads are passable. If anyone wants to do something to help the thousands of victims here, please make a donation to the American Red Cross - and pray for us.
Daffy

Posted by: daffythedachshund | August 30, 2005 03:59 PM

Ick...reminds me of hurricane season in 2004... I really realized how addicted technology I really am.

Good to have you back on :)

-N

Posted by: Natalia | August 30, 2005 04:37 PM

Oh, Dox, so glad everyone's ok...who's taking care of the dogs???

My thoughts and mojo are with everyone in crisis...We're pulling for you, and let me tell ya, my best friend (who is in the GA Nat'l Guard) is on his way with his guys, and they'll do everything they can to help. He kicks ass.

Posted by: missbanshee | August 30, 2005 04:55 PM

You are so invited down to Texas anytime you want a great margarita- sans Damn Storm of course...

Posted by: Brighton | August 30, 2005 06:17 PM

Man, sorry you're stranded! So terrible all the destruction. Hope you can drown your sorrows.

Posted by: Sheryl | August 30, 2005 08:37 PM

Oh my... just thought I'd post todays official press release about Gulf Shores. You may have already seen it. here goes:

ADVISORY FROM THE CITY OF GULF SHORES

Tuesday, August 30, 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
9:30 a.m.

ADVISORY FROM THE CITY OF GULF SHORES

A roadblock is in place at Fort Morgan Road on Highway 59 and on Fort Morgan Road at the 6 mile marker.

At this time, only emergency personnel, utility providers, and business and property owners with Zone 2, 6 and 7 decals will be allowed into the City of Gulf Shores.

A curfew is in effect in the area south of 12th Avenue on Hwy 59 from 8:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. until further notice.

The David L. Bodenhamer Recreation Center and Thomas B. Norton Library will be closed until further notice.

Utility providers are currently in the area assessing damages. Power is unavailable in the area south of 8th Avenue. Water and sewer are unavailable south of 12th Avenue and west of The Peninsula Subdivision.

Please continue to monitor your local radio and television stations for information, as well as 968-TIDE (8433) and www.cu.gulf-shores.al.us.

-----------------------

Posted by: Becky | August 30, 2005 10:01 PM

stay safe, have a drink, and buy a cute pair of shoes to go with the legwarmers and capelet. and hug...give lots of hugs

Posted by: liz | August 30, 2005 10:46 PM

If I didn't actually know you, there is no way I'd believe you. Just too many mini-disasters. But you'll make the best of it and be sunbathing with a cocktail in-hand in no time! Enjoy the rest of your break!

Posted by: Kiefer Twin | August 30, 2005 10:59 PM

We got it here in FL where I live and she did some damage but ours was like a tiny slap on the wrist to what she did to the gulf states. Feeling really bad for those people...time to start making donations everyone. Those people are seriously going to need some assistance.

Posted by: S. Faolan Wolf | August 31, 2005 02:38 AM

so glad that you are okay. so sad at how much has been lost by so many.

Posted by: honestyrain | August 31, 2005 06:59 AM

Do you know if the pretty and talented Anna Beth is okay, too?

Posted by: Rachel | August 31, 2005 01:03 PM

Hey Miss Doxie, I'm glad to hear that you're safe, at least boredom is better than getting chased by the wicked witch of the west (although I think she was more misunderstood than wicked!)
But seriously, My thoughts and prayers are with all of you suffering from this storm at the moment, I hope that it's over soon.

Posted by: moneypenny | August 31, 2005 02:09 PM

hey, miss doxie--

i've been lurking too long. . . in fact, all of we (female) writers (here at unnamed big four accounting firm in downtown atlanta) have been lurking too long (and laughing so hard, for months, daily ). . . so i am revealing:

when you come return to civilization, come by the EAYC. . . and me! and my friends! (have lots! including one named Babs (?!)). . . we will buy you a post-katrina drink! or many! bring el dukay, too!

Posted by: missdeb | August 31, 2005 04:34 PM

Oh, I'm so jealous. Babs is my mother and she told me y'all had a great time while I sat on my butt with my daughter in my B'ham hotel Sunday night, dammit!

Hurricanes suck, unless they're in a glass and potable. I'm so horrified about what's happened to Pascagoula (along with everywhere else) I can hardly even say anything about it, except in the most general way.

Anyway, y'all should come to Mobile if you get a chance and have a drinky with Babs the Crazy and me, and the other Pascagoula crazies that are camped out here!

Posted by: Beth | September 2, 2005 11:28 PM