« This Post Is Brought To You By The Fact That The Power Finally Came Back On In The Fucking Hotel | Main | Doxie Dolittle »

Scary Beach Crime Scene Photos; Pandering; Hello!

August 31, 2005

That is the only title I could think of for this entry, because that is what I am going to show you, is Scary Beach Crime Scene Photos. And then I am going to pander. And at some point I will say hi. Anyway! People! Allow me to explain.

See, we finally made it out of Birmingham on Tuesday, and started driving to Gulf Shores, because my dad called the Gulf Shores Department of Commerce or Tourism or something similar, but what should actually be called the Department of Big Fat Stinking Liars, Liar Liar Pants on FIRE, because this is what happened.

Dad called and said, "Hello. My family has been trying to get into Gulf Shores for six days, but then, you know, hurricane, and now we can't get in touch with the condo people, and we don't know if we should come..."

And the Department of Lying Lying Dogs lady interrupted him and said, "COME IMMEDIATELY RIGHT NOW EVERYTHING IS FINE BRING YOUR CREDIT CARDS CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU YAY TOURISM."

Dad believed her, and so we all packed up and left the relative safety of Birmingham, and we drove to Gulf Shores. And it wasn't until we were, oh, I don't know, MINUTES from there that the condo people finally deigned to call us back and inform us that, HA HA, you were lied to, and nobody is allowed in to the whole damn city.

So! Now we are kind of in Alabama-ish, and without lodging, and I am getting cranky like I do. So we pulled over to a gas station in the middle of Nowhere, Inbetween States, and Mom and Dad were both on their cell phones, trying to find somewhere, ANYwhere, that would take us in for the night.

We were kind of like Joseph and Mary right then, don't you think? Except not holy. Just irritated.

ANYWAY. They found somewhere. It was 200 miles away, BUT WHATEVER, we have cars and gas at $3.17 a gallon. So, we drove on, stayed in Alternate City (it was lovely), and then this morning, the condo people called again. And apparently they had gotten some lessons from the tourism dirty liar lady, or there had been some kind of meeting of Gulf Shores People Who Live On Tourist Dollars, because they were like, "PLEASE COME NOW WE UPGRADED YOU EVEN KISSES!"

So we went. And we drove all day, because there is traffic of people who are trying to do important things like "find out if their homes are still standing and family members are alive", and I waved out the windows all day at other cars in a manner that I hope conveyed "friendly" and not "prostitute trying to pick up strangers in her car". And as we got closer, we began to see things like:

(1) Houses that were missing key ingredients, like:
(a) roof
(b) walls
(c) both (a) and (b)

(2) power lines all over the place

(3) fire trucks.

None of these things were encouraging. But at this point, the family was like, "WHATEVER, we're going to the GODDAMN BEACH, and we don't CARE if there is no power and no water, ALL WE NEED IS SOME FUCKING OCEAN."

And so we went on.

We arrived in Gulf Shores and pulled into the condo complex, where we were immediately informed by the lady at the gate that they were, in fact, not allowing people to check in today, where EVER did we get such a notion, please go home you IDIOTS, etc.

And this is where mom and I had to wait in our respective cars, because this is also where we both grew fangs and mean long fingernails-claw things and decided we would just EAT the people at the front desk, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT WE DO IN MY FAMILY when we get really really pissed. We eat people! We eat them whole.

Dad, however, is all "reasonable" (read: LAME) and locked us into our cars and forbade us to leave and went in to talk to the people at the front desk. And he did not eat them, and within three minutes, we had keys to condos and everything was FINE, and something about catching more flies with honey but I wasn't paying attention because I still wanted SOMEONE TO DIE AND I WANTED TO EAT THEM because WHO THE FUCK spends three days trying to travel 200 miles? BESIDES THE AMISH?

But anyway. So, now we are at the condo, and it's great and we even have internet service, which is good because HI, EVERYONE! What we did not have, for the first four hours upon checking in, was:

(1) Water.

What we still do not have, and who knows when we will have this, is:

(2) Beach.

And now is where we actually get to the point of this entry, which is where I show you pictures of THE CREEPINESS that is the beach right now. Shudder! You can close your eyes if you get too scared.

See (and now we talk science), apparently, in a hurricane, the ocean just...gives back all of those things that it doesn't want. And there are a lot of things that people put into the ocean, because some bad people do NOT follow the life lesson of Giving a Hoot, and they just toss in any old thing (mostly these are beer cans. FOR SHAME, Beer Can Thrower-Inners!).

And also, during the hurricane, the ocean also took some stuff that does not belong to the ocean, like doors and windows and other things, because the ocean is a kleptomaniac. The ocean kind of needs counseling.

So, right now, instead of "beach," there is a long line of debris. And I've never seen anything like it. It is...creepy. It looks like a crime scene, especially when you find things like clothes and shoes and boots and almost brand-new colanders, and I am CONVINCED that it is just chock-full of skeleton bits from old shipwrecks (which...yes, I recognize and admit that this makes no sense, but WHATEVER), and it is FREAKY.

The freakiness factor did not prevent me from wandering out into the middle of it all and taking approximately one zillion pictures of the rubble. And here I share with you, because Self = GIVER, SUCH A GIVER.

And here they are.

Now. As creepy as all of that is (SO CREEPY), I am well aware that I am pretty fucking lucky to be sitting here now with a glass of wine, knowing that everyone I love (including the dogs. Oh, y'all, I have called the vet EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR about the dogs and their safety, and the vet hates me SO MUCH), and I am able to update my little web page and say hi to everyone. (HI EVERYONE!). I've got it pretty damn good. So many people can't do any of that, including all of those lovely, classy ladies from Pascalgula, Mississippi, with whom I spent the last several days. They have...nothing. Their homes are fucking gone. Last time I saw them, we all had a cocktail, and they were joking about what color FEMA trailer they would request (turns out, pink is everyone's signature color).

So, let's do something...interesting and different. I'm going to ask anyone who can, to send a donation to the Red Cross for disaster relief. And, when you send a donation, leave me a comment or send me an email telling me that you've donated (of course, you don't have to tell me how much; just let me know that you're in). And I will take all of those names, and I will have a raffle, and someone will win, and that someone will recieve one of my paintings. (Wait! Y'all! Did you not know that I paint? I don't think I've ever posted pictures of my paintings. Anyway, I do. They are...you know. Interesting.)

SO! It's kind of...lame, but what do you have to lose? You may end up with a painting you hate, but THAT IS WHY JESUS GAVE YOU EBAY. And anyway, it's a Miss Doxie original, and surely that will be worth SOMEthing when I am dead. So donate away.

And if you can't, at least send positive thoughts and good vibes to all of those good people who have lost so much.

And whatever you do: stay the hell off the beach. Unless you really, really need a new colander.

I just knew you'd start a relief fund!! (Your so predictable) Great idea. I'm going to increase my Red Cross donation this month for sure.

Take care! And don't let your trip become more stressful than the non-stop working that drove you there :)

Just say the word and I'll hit the road and bring cases of bottled water and more wine!

Posted by: Kiefer Twin | August 31, 2005 09:27 PM

I already took care of it yesterday. I figured if I could rant on and on about what a crappy job everyone else was doing, then I could get off my rear and do something myself.

Ummm... try to enjoy your vacation. Even with the creepy beach.

Posted by: Bonanza Jellybean | August 31, 2005 09:59 PM

I made a donation, it's so sad what happened to all those people. I'm glad to hear you and yours are safe, not so glad to hear the ladies lost their homes. :(

By the way, when I saw the picture of the chair, I TOTALLY THOUGHT THE SAME THING.

Posted by: Erin | August 31, 2005 10:28 PM

Donation done. What a mess out there. I'm so sorry for all those people.

Posted by: Cathy | August 31, 2005 10:40 PM

I don't have a lot of money right now thanks to car repairs so I donated blood for them. Does this still count?

Posted by: S. Faolan Wolf | August 31, 2005 10:44 PM

That absolutely counts. Blood or money. Or sperm, if someone needs it, I suppose.

Posted by: MIss Doxie | August 31, 2005 11:00 PM

I finally got through to donate. Every minute that I was on hold was actually heartening - I was thinking about all the other people who want to try and help.

Posted by: Karen | August 31, 2005 11:03 PM

Who knew my donation could put me in the running for a Miss Doxie masterpiece? So cool. Have fun in Gulf Shores! And by the way a lot of those roofs and walls and trees were already missing before this weekend. You can thank (or flick off)Ivan for that!

Posted by: BB | August 31, 2005 11:08 PM

Donation made! Very sad for all of those people who have lost everything. I walked out of the grocery store with my Kalamata olives and nectarines into the sunshine and felt very lucky.

Posted by: Rayne | September 1, 2005 12:40 AM

I donated to the Humane Society Disaster Pet Rescue effort - am I in? They're sending a team and supplies to help stranded, suffering pets and livestock. I know, seems less important than helping humans, but one of the news reporters was talking about seeing a dog that was caught in power lines and still alive, and I thought about my dog, and... Yeah.

Travel safely, and I say bottoms up for the duration!

Posted by: Tracy | September 1, 2005 03:09 AM

I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind actually told you that it was okay to to go Gulf Shores right now. They really SHOULD be EATEN. You have my permission to do so. I sit here in Pensacola and am thankful and a little dazed that by the grace of the gods my town doesn't look like Pascagoula right now. I have survivors guilt though. I feel morose and I just keep watching the tv. Hubby and I both agree we are NOT trying to weather any more of these storms at home if they go higher than cat 2. I hope it's a hundred years before another storm reaches our Gulf Coast. I think all of us coastal residents are about done, those of us that are left intact that is. Bless you for your donation. All of my family is from MIss. WE have one missing relative from Gulfport. Doesn't look good so far. You wouldn't leave your 80 yr old mother to worry about your very life for 4 days would you? My uncle is either dead or, if he is alive my grandmother is going to kill him when she finds him.

Posted by: Becky | September 1, 2005 06:12 AM

Great idea with the encouraging of the involvement. I am taking cases of bottled water and a check over to my local Red Cross donation point this afternoon.

Posted by: Erica | September 1, 2005 06:24 AM

Wow - if I'd known my donation would qualify me for a Doxie Delicious Masterpiece, I....well, wouldn't have done different, but still, thanks for encouraging the donations. Way better than the breathy exhorations I've been doing on my blog!
I agree the condo and tourism folks should be eaten, but I'm not sure that it's safe to eat them - you don't wanna catch dead, after all!

Posted by: Mark | September 1, 2005 07:35 AM

I get to help people AND possibly win a limited edition Miss Doxie piece o' art? I am overwhelmed! Donation made!

Posted by: Eh... not so much | September 1, 2005 07:40 AM

Wow, your family was REALLY DETERMINED to have some beach time, huh? Anyway, am making a donation now.

Becky - I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope he's okay.

Posted by: Lucy | September 1, 2005 08:00 AM

Made a donation to the Red Cross yesterday and the LA Humane Society today. Feel so very lucky that I still have a house and hound to complain about. Glad you and the Doxie clan are safe and sound.

Posted by: Dee | September 1, 2005 08:12 AM

Donation made. Keep up the excellent work Miss Doxie.

Posted by: Miss Lucy | September 1, 2005 08:28 AM

I am donating tomorrow, for that is payday. Tell your mom I also gave the blue door props for "decorating potential." However, seconds later I was all WTF? because that is TOTALLY my jelly shoe from 1982. I always wondered where it went.

Posted by: Renee | September 1, 2005 08:34 AM

Wow! Humane Society donations? Are we serious? Listen yall, there were 364 days in the past year when it would have been warm and fuzzy to donate to the Humane Society. Now we have humans, fucking Americans, in peril. Thousands displaced. Unknown numbers dead, starving, and soon to be infected with disease from the worsening sanitation crisis. Animals have the fantastic ability of being able to survive without being provided food, water or shelter, even without any human interaction/interference at all. So you heard about a derelict pet and thought about your dog? I'm sure your little puppy is touched. I hate to be "that guy" but I'll do the right thing and come out and say it, now is the time for charity that targets other people. Charity for stray muts and unwanted cats can be put on hold for now. Seriously.

Posted by: partycrasher | September 1, 2005 08:37 AM

Did the people donation and the puppy donation. For some people all they have left are their pets and we all know how important that can be. Even when they make us insane.

Safe travels, Miss Doxie.

Posted by: Beth | September 1, 2005 08:44 AM

I've donated to Noah's Wish (www.noahswish.org). As soon as I can get on the Red Cross site, I'm donating there too.

Posted by: Callie | September 1, 2005 08:51 AM

I donated to the Red Cross and the Lousianna SPCA. I have to say that while it certainly is important to help out "fellow" humans, there's absolutely nothing wrong with donations to help out animals and pets as well. Despite the thought that they can survive without being provided for, that simply isn't true for many, especially a pampered pet or other domesticated animals (hence the term 'domesticated').

No need to enter me in the contest, I just wish there was more I could do to help. Donating money and encouraging others to do the same just doesn't seem enough somehow, you know?

Posted by: Alya | September 1, 2005 09:03 AM

PARTYCRASHER. DUDE. Now, as much as I agree that we need to help out our fellow man, OF COURSE it's necessary to provide disaster relief for animals that were displaced by the storm, as well. This is missdoxie.com! Animals can do no wrong in my eyes, even when they pee on me and eat my Arby's.

In addition to my Red Cross donation, I've given to Noah's Wish (http://www.noahswish.org/), an organization that helps animals stranded by natural disasters.

Sometimes it's a hard world for small things. And I think we should do whatever we can to make it easier.

And of course, any type of donation (maybe I was kidding about donating sperm) will qualify for raffleness, for all of you who care (my favorite so far has been Alya, who was all, "Yeah, I donated, but, uh, I DON'T NEED A PAINTING, SERIOUSLY, THANKS BUT NO."

Now, all of that being said, Becky, I am SO SORRY about your uncle. All my love to your family.

Posted by: Miss Doxie | September 1, 2005 09:22 AM

I don't know how your posts manage to combine such humor and touchingness (shut up - that's a word!) all at the same time. Anyhow, I donated, but through my church's fund. Hope that counts. I would love a Miss Doxie original! Do you actually SIGN them "Miss Doxie"? :)

Posted by: Laziza | September 1, 2005 09:29 AM

Donated!!!!!!!!!

It is a horrific experience to live through something like a hurricane. I lived in Virginia Beach during Isabelle. I was evacuated and pile everything I could in my little Acura Integra and drove to Richmond. Which for me consisted of: 6 full grown cats (who hate each other), 1 dachshund puppy (who loves the hating kitties who do not love her) and one roommate (who wished violently at that time that she had the common sense to room with someone with less....baggage)

In Richmond our hotel was hit hard by the hurricane and we lost power and water. Here's a tidbit that I didn't know. No electricity = no gas for your car. We had 1/2 tank left and couldn't drive back home for fear of having no gas to leave again if we needed to. Soooo we drove North until we found gas which was in oh, say WASHINGTON which is very, very far from Virginia Beach.

My parents live in Ohio sooo since I was practically already there we drove our already ticked crew of assorted animals (did I mention how small an Acura Integra is?!) to OHIO to stay until we were allowed back.

Our beach (we lived on the water) looked like your pictures. It was shocking and disturbing to walk out your front door and see sinks, shoes, wood and scary, scary, scary dead animals on the beach. It took over 2 weeks for us to get power back.

Anything that everyone can do will help trust me. Clothes, food, water, medicine (toothpaste even think about it) will all help.

Posted by: Karen | September 1, 2005 09:30 AM

The donation will be made as soon as I can get the ever-so-careful-with-money husband to agree on the amount (advice to anyone that may need it: Do not marry a man with a finance degree unless you want to spend the rest of your life talking about money). In addition, I will be trotting my not so little self down to the local Red Cross Disaster Services office next week sometime to volunteer some time. My little heathens, AKA the darling children, will be removed from my ankles and safely in the care of someone with an education degree by then.

Posted by: Julie | September 1, 2005 09:31 AM

I made a donation and even stole the little icon that says "Help Katrina Victims. And Steal This Button". I can't get my head around this at all.

Posted by: citycat | September 1, 2005 09:37 AM

I donated, and I just want to take a second to recognize the wonderful volunteers who are tackling all of the problems down there. I don't know if any will even see this, but how can we not appreciate people who put their lives on hold, travel across the country, and help those in need.

A few years ago, I had my own little disaster. My apartment building's electrical system got fried and we were told to evacuate before the building went POOF into a blaze of fire. I was only out of my house for a few days. My possessions were not GONE. My city was not UNDER WATER. My friends, family, and pets were not MISSING. And yet I cannot tell you how grateful I was for the help of the Red Cross... for the volunteer (un-paid, I might add) who came down in the middle of the night to help us find a place to stay even though he had to go to his real job in about 2 hours on no sleep... for the firefighters who assured us that they would make absolutely positive that it was safe for us to go back and live there... for all of the people who had donated to the Red Cross so that I might have somewhere to turn when I needed someone to help and somewhere to go.

It breaks my heart to see all of those people displaced, destroyed, and discouraged. It kills me to see the lawlessness that is taking over and the bodies that are floating in the water. But to see all of the people volunteering their time, their money, and whatever resources they can offer makes me realize that there is still good to be found out there. Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you for all that you do to put more good in the world.

Posted by: Rebecca | September 1, 2005 10:12 AM

Cash today, blood next week... best wishes to everyone affected. I have a spare room in MI if anyone needs a place to crash.

Posted by: Karrie | September 1, 2005 10:24 AM

I donated! It wasn't much because I am oh so poor college student, but I donated. And because I am O positive and that is a good doner kind of blood, I donate that too.

Posted by: Aerandir | September 1, 2005 10:26 AM

There is bottled water down there on the beach, if anyone needs it right away.

Donated. And put a Red Cross button on my site.

Posted by: allison | September 1, 2005 10:27 AM

You can donate even spare change through the Coin Star machines in various grocery stores. Tom took our change, bought a couple of gift baskets and raffled them in his office for even more money to donate. So we're in.

Posted by: Melissa | September 1, 2005 10:34 AM

i hate katrina because she's a greedy monster.

therefore, i give donation units to red cross.
to katrina, i donate two middle fingers with anger and smyte.

Posted by: melati | September 1, 2005 10:47 AM

Donated to the Red Cross this morning. Thanks for encouraging us all to get off our butts and DO SOMETHING.

Posted by: Jen | September 1, 2005 11:10 AM

Donation - Done
Button on my blog for disaster relief - Done
Abilty to stop crying over news reports from disaster area- Not so much

Good job with the fund raiser Miss Doxie. I know this might be a dumb question, but why didn't ya'll just drive back home to Atlanta?

Posted by: TB | September 1, 2005 11:14 AM

Great idea Miss Dox!

Donation made.

Posted by: Jillian | September 1, 2005 11:18 AM

Good thinking Miss Doxie! Donation made.

Posted by: Becca | September 1, 2005 11:27 AM

Girl. What IS it with you and the Amish? Okay, I have to admit, me too, sort of. I have an Amish hex sign on my front door. I'm not making that up.

Yeah, I did the Red Cross thing. A friend of mine, though, told me that in Hurricane Fran she lost 250 pairs of cute shoes. There ought to be a relief fund for THAT. Life is not worth living without cute shoes.

Posted by: Gretchen C. | September 1, 2005 11:53 AM

Donated.
I am with Alya - no need to enter me in the contest.
My nine year old gave up the tiger-striped piggy bank this morning with the long-hoarded accumulation of cents equalling approximately $43.35 - his older brother offered three weeks of allowance. We sit in Minnesota grateful for our snow and tornadoes that miss us more often than hit, we certainly can afford to be generous. I only hope my two boys hold onto their generous natures when they become big men....

Posted by: lilbobo | September 1, 2005 12:07 PM

Hi there! Not only have I donated, but I organized a community yard sale for Saturday, 9/10, at my house in Falls Church, VA, and all of the proceeds are going to the American Red Cross. I've put an ad in the Washington Post & pasted it all over the internet. If folks want more information, they can go to my webpage (just click on my name).

This is a good idea for everyone - since the Red Cross wants money more than clothes & the like, hold a yard sale to get rid of the things you don't need, and donate the money!

Posted by: Peyton | September 1, 2005 12:44 PM

Coming to you from beautiful downtown Baton Rouge, where some of the evacuees are roaming the streets, creating chaos, having somehow gotten out of the River Center evacuation center. Me? locked into my office building with all my coworkers, armed guards at the doors, because our cars are being broken into in our parking garage and it's not even safe to leave. The other side of the humanitarian story.
Daffy

Posted by: daffythedachshund | September 1, 2005 12:57 PM

I am so proud of you! You will be welcomed to Pascagoula any time you care to visit. The pink FEMA trailers and bottles of wine await. You have such a big heart. Thanks to all your fans who share your generosity. Glad I saw the pictures of the beach before I came to join you on your vacation!

Posted by: Aunt Rie | September 1, 2005 01:02 PM

donation complete. added a link on my site for others to donate. you are an amazing person!

Posted by: minnie | September 1, 2005 01:52 PM

Count me in Miss Doxie. This is a wonderful idea and the extra added bonus of winning a masterpiece? Makes donating more like gambling! Fun!

Posted by: catherino | September 1, 2005 02:09 PM

Thanks for the encouragement to get active. Donation objective: accomplished!

Posted by: Debra | September 1, 2005 02:37 PM

Hi there Doxie, been a lurker on your blog for a while and always enjoy it. Feel thoroughly shite on behalf of all our American cousins affected by this and have duly donated pots of cash to the american red cross as you suggested - and given the favourable exchange rate, it'll be the gift that keeps on giving :0) So keep going, keep smiling, and you can borrow my stiff upper lip if you like. Irmani PS if my name comes out the hat raffle your artwork off on ebay and send the proceeds to ARC - ta!

Posted by: Irmani | September 1, 2005 03:40 PM

Posted by: Irmani | September 1, 2005 03:40 PM

Donated. And thanks, Miss Doxie for the Yahoo link. I haven't been able to get in through the Red Cross website. I guess that means lots and lots of people are donating? And, partycrasher, compassion for any and all creatures in need and danger is something we need more of, now or anytime.

Posted by: madeleine | September 1, 2005 03:59 PM

Glad to hear you, your fam and the doggies are all safe. I made a donation to the red cross last night. I just cannot even comprehend the devastation. Hurricanes = Work of Satan. Give me a good old 7 second long earthquake any day.

Posted by: amy | September 1, 2005 04:04 PM

Oh man, donation to noah's wish made as well. The animals, they can do no wrong in my eyes either. Hug your furry and human friends a bit tighter tonight people.

Posted by: amy | September 1, 2005 04:13 PM

Longtime lurker. Just wanted to post to let you know I donated. And it already made me feel better. Every little bit counts!

Posted by: Julia | September 1, 2005 04:21 PM

Comment deleted by Miss Doxie, who is getting well and truly pissed.
Bashing women AND animals? Momma don't play that, no I do not.

Also, I see your IP address, and dude...I know who you are. I mean, what the fuck?

Posted by: partycrasher | September 1, 2005 04:40 PM

I made a donation to the Red Cross this morning, not for the sake of winning a Miss Doxie painting (although, that would be pretty cool), but because my mom is from New Orleans, and a good portion of my family is in southern Louisiana and Mississippi. Those are my peeps. Everyone I know is safe & accounted for, but my heart breaks for everyone else down there.

And partycrasher, you're an ass. That line about "asking to use the checkbook"? Why is that, exactly? Because we "girls" don't make our own incomes and can't be trusted to spend them as we see fit? I was already thinking about making a donation to Noah's Wish, but your idiocy just convinced me that I was doing the right thing. My second donation of the day has now been made.

Posted by: poobou | September 1, 2005 05:32 PM

I made a donation yesterday to the American Humane Society and today made one to the Red Cross. And for partycrasher, who thinks "Animals have the fantastic ability of being able to survive without being provided food, water or shelter, even without any human interaction/interference at all," I'd like to refer you to my friend Julie who was unable to get back to her home in time to save her three cats, dog and iguana. While quite a few animals can survive in the wild, I know of very few who can survive under 10 feet of water. For some of the people who have lost their homes, jobs and entire lives as they know them, one of the hardest losses to deal with is the loss of a beloved pet. Feel free to donate as much money as you want to human relief orgainizations, but don't feel as though you have the right to berate people for donating their hard-earned money to the causes they hold dear to their hearts.

Posted by: Danielle | September 1, 2005 05:45 PM

My boyfriend and I donated! despite our permanent broke-ass state. At least we have our belongings, our car, our jobs, and our beloved cat. Thank you for making me smile in between bouts of teariness.

Posted by: Erin | September 1, 2005 06:22 PM

Yo! The Red Cross has got my cash. And, just because I'm curious like that ... how did your dad lock you IN the car? Just wondering.

Posted by: Blue Meany | September 1, 2005 06:25 PM

We made a donation to the American Red Cross. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like much, when you watch the pictures. I've never been so grateful for a roof, walls and knowing where all my family members are.

Posted by: jessie | September 1, 2005 07:40 PM

While I did not donate to the Red Cross, I sent Babies R Us gift certificates to my friends friend who lost everything in NO and is due next week. Does that count?

Posted by: nic | September 1, 2005 07:43 PM

Been reading your site (and laughing my ass off) for a bit, but hadn't made the posting plunge until today. Red Cross, done. Noah's Wish, done. Can't give blood, but would if I could...

And for the record, just to annoy partycrasher, I sent the link to Noah's Wish to all my animal loving friends. :)

Posted by: s u s a n | September 1, 2005 07:57 PM

Will donate next week. I'm having my family send me checks to donate because my company matches donations 2 to 1 (That's not cheating, right? My company has a LOT more money than I do).

Also, your pics reminded me of walking on the beach of Surfside, TX after a tropical storm. I saw something shiny on the beach and dug it up and said "Look! A hood ornament! I dug a little further and said "Look! It's a CAR!"

Posted by: Erin 2 (electric boogaloo) | September 1, 2005 08:21 PM

Y'all are all awesome. Of course all of this counts, and I am keeping A List of People, and I will post something tomorrow, and WON'T THAT BE AWESOME?

Anyway. Love y'all.

Posted by: Miss Doxie | September 1, 2005 08:54 PM

I didn't donate money to the Red Cross because I donated all my money to the animals (Conservation International) earlier this month. I am, however, volunteering at the local chapter of my Red Cross. Later this month, I'm going to do training in disaster relief so that they might send me out to the scary beaches to do... relief like things that I hope don't include touching the shit that might make me catch Dead.

And I want to share a quick AMAZING story about the donations people have been giving the Red Cross. Today, whilst in the midst of trying to coordinate press releases, I happened upon a 9 year old boy who was donating $1600 (!!!). That is so many degrees of insane that I had to actually sit down. I don't know where a 9 year old gets enough money to buy up all the Playstations on his block but it was just amazing to me.

The donations I was collecting today were $250, $100, $500 and up. But it was so touching to have people just stop and EMPTY THEIR POCKETS no joke. Some junior high kids stopped and literally pulled out wads of ones that were very crinkled and sweaty and only amounted to $13 but it was all they had and it was mind boggling to learn that the world is not as Scrooge-like as people think it is.

Posted by: Kole | September 1, 2005 08:54 PM

Donated! Miss Doxie, you kick ass. Even if you and your family decided to vacation in a disaster area. Actually, that's kind of fitting :)

Posted by: Melissa | September 1, 2005 11:25 PM

Made my donation this morning.

Posted by: Miruni | September 2, 2005 12:13 AM

I donated yesterday as well, and sent clothes with a friend into Houston to give to the refugees from LA.

Posted by: Brighton | September 2, 2005 06:44 AM

A donation to the Red Cross has been made. My thoughts are with all those affected.

Posted by: gill | September 2, 2005 07:31 AM

Hey! I just wanted to say it's not that I don't want the painting (really!), it's just that I live in a teeny tiny studio in New York City - and I'm a packrat, so basically my belongings are about to shove me out of my apartment. However, I am rather intrigued by the Keifer Twins, could I request a photo of them instead?

Posted by: Alya | September 2, 2005 08:36 AM

Donations from Canada to Noah's Wish and Red Cross.

Posted by: Christine | September 2, 2005 09:31 AM

There just aren't words.

Donation made.

Posted by: Cindy | September 2, 2005 09:34 AM

I volunteer to take the photo of the Kiefer Twins. You meant "nude photo", right?

Love to the family! In the absence of you all, I'm eating your shares of the bread pudding. For YOU! For MANKIND! I will be fat, but the bread pudding will not be neglected, oh no.

Posted by: Robyn | September 2, 2005 09:34 AM

Donations made all around. Thanks for recommending Noah's Wish, I didn't know about them.

Posted by: E | September 2, 2005 09:51 AM

Your photos of the beach were so poignant, and so chilling at the same time. We are so lucky, to have a roof over our heads, electricity, water to drink. I have donated, thanks to you for making a button available, Miss Doxie.

Posted by: fifi | September 2, 2005 10:21 AM

Donated, for both the two and four-legged victims. Thanks for the info on Noah's
Wish - hadn't heard of them before!

Posted by: heyCarl | September 2, 2005 10:32 AM

I donated two days ago, and then was made so sick, and so angry by what I saw on the news last night and this morning, and so wanted to punch the president in the face today that I donated again. There will likely be more donations as future paychecks roll in, because I'm too far away and my place is too small to offer shelter to anyone. Thanks for encouraging others to do the same.

Posted by: rebecca | September 2, 2005 10:39 AM

I made my donation after reading all the (mostly) lovely comments! Every human and every animal deserves help, if you ask me.

Posted by: anneli | September 2, 2005 10:42 AM

My heart's breaking here in Chicago. I donated to the Episcopal Relief Fund, to help churches in Louisiana help the refugees. The next donation will go to the animals. God, I can't even imagine all this...

(Miss Doxie ma'am, my husband used to vacation in Gulf Shores as a kid and was appalled and terrified by your photos! Especially the mattresses. Egad, the mattresses.)

Posted by: Amy | September 2, 2005 10:56 AM

Donated just now to Red Cross and Humane Society. Then I thought, wow, I can also get the word out. So I sent the following e-mail to practically everyone in my address book...maybe some other folks can use it to send to folks in their address books. So far, I've got a great response and lots of donations made.

Hello everyone!

I know there has been a LOT of requests for help for Hurricane victims...Red Cross and so forth. And they do need an ungodly amount of help with supplies, money and other types of basic aid.

I ask you to also remember that there are pets and livestock out there who also need help. The Humane Society of the United States has set up a fund to help with the rescue of animals and help their caregivers. Please consider this as well, if you are choosing in any way to contribute to the relief efforts. Anything and everything helps, no matter how and where you may choose to donate.

Thanks for the consideration!

Monica (and her pooches)

Posted by: Miss Monica | September 2, 2005 11:45 AM

Made a donation to the humane society (www.hsus.org)
Because I too am all about the animals...

Posted by: cai | September 2, 2005 12:02 PM

I donated a little bit to both the Salvation Army and Red Cross.

I think the chair picture creeps me out the most.

Posted by: Johnny Sapphire | September 2, 2005 01:00 PM

Miss Doxie, thanks so much for all of the laugh-my-ass-right-out-of-the-chair posts...they always appear when I need them most.

I just donated to the red cross and I'll be donating to the human society today, too. And giving blood tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding us to do the right thing. Get home safe!

Posted by: ginami | September 2, 2005 01:02 PM

Hey - is there a Kiefer Twin fan club in the making? Alya, if you win the Twins authorize release of their photos! But nude? Hmmmm. Robyn, youre naughty. Oh, and Ms Doxie, if I win, the original masterpiece I've already been promised doesn't count. That would be cheating.

I can't take my eyes off of the tv. I can't help but think that the political sniping and sniveling by some reporters is making it seem worse than it is. Still its hard to prevent the enormity of this disaster from becoming depressing. And so I feel guilty for not being somber and distressed, but they are gonna bounce back ya'll.

Now that the Army is in New Orleans things will start looking much better. I've transitioned from wishing I was there to help round up stranded civilians to wishing I was there patrolling the streets. I'm jealous!

I just want to give my props to ALL of the volunteers out there. Ya'll are heroes. Ya'll rock.

Posted by: Kiefer Twin | September 2, 2005 01:13 PM

I donated to the Red Cross.

It feel so ineffectual.

Posted by: Polichick | September 2, 2005 01:29 PM

Well, I already broke the bank buying toiletries today for the folks in the Astrodome, so I can't donate to the RC. The church sent out a call for baggies of hygiene kits to be collected by 3:00 today, and the stuff will be in their hands this afternoon. So off I went to the 99 cents store. Y'all, I swear, there were 20 people in line with me doing the same thing. Makes me want to have a group hug.

In one hour they filled a box 6x4x3. An HOUR. And there were a group of people in the foyer with a gazillion Target bags making up more packs right there on the floor. They had to have someone direct traffic for all the drop-offs.

We have the opportunity to go to training this weekend to be part of the food services team at the Dome. They want 240 people per 6 hour shift, three shifts a day until October 5th. Unbelievable. I should be able to let you all know how that goes in a few days.

Houston is like I've never seen it. The tragedy and what we can do to help is on everyone's lips. My daughter's Latin Club collected $600 yesterday, and more today to buy more supplies with. Good thing I have a minivan; that's a lot of supplies.

I am hoping they give me an opportunity to entertain the kids a little - I have a walking puppet stage just right for things like this, where I can cover a huge area and lots of children. It's one thing I can do. I know how you feel, polichick. It's unreal. I feel like I can't even make a dent.

Posted by: MissFish | September 2, 2005 02:06 PM

Those pictures are creepy! Donation made. It may be too late for the drawing for your painting, but that's not why I donated. But please don't tell me if I was too late for the drawing. I'm all about the denial if it's my fault. La la la la la!! I can't hear you! Unless I win.

Posted by: Libby | September 2, 2005 02:16 PM

I'm glad you made it thru your travails. Today on the radio I heard the Arlo Guthrie song "City of New Orleans" and just lost it. Had to explain to the kids why mom was driving & crying. Anyway, we made a donation at my husband's workplace (Broadwing Communications) b/c they are matching funds. We love you in Austin, Miss D.! I'm sure your art f'ing rocks!

Posted by: Lisa | September 2, 2005 02:37 PM

I donated to the Humane Society Disaster Pet Rescue effort - read a story about a little boy getting on a bus and the national guard took his dog away from him. He apparently cried till he threw up. I can't stand to read that kind of agony - it cut me to the heart. A child who goes through hell loses his best friend... needless to say I went home and hugged my little ones that night. The poor dogs probably didn't understand why mom was so sad as she hugged them for three hours.

I also donated to the red cross, and called my preimier to do something PLEASE! Calling Bush and offering help wasn't enough... he said he was going to call the mayor of New Orleans and see if she will take him up on the offer since Bush brushed us off. (Yes I am totlally serious - I called and reached him no problem - The premier of Ontario, Canada. Weird - but some how canadians can reach their government and talk to them.)

Posted by: Jennifer | September 2, 2005 03:34 PM

Just one little ray of sunshine to share with all you generous posters. Today they got ALL THE BABIES out of Charity Hospital in New Orleans! Can I get an Amen.
Daffy

Posted by: daffythedachshund | September 2, 2005 03:41 PM

Donated blood, and of course will give money as soon as I can.

By the way, I don't know how it was where y'all are, but when I went to my local blood bank on Wednesday evening there were only three other people there. If you're eligible, you might want to consider giving. Plus, cookies!

Posted by: Melsy | September 2, 2005 04:04 PM

My husband's company is based in Kansas City, MO. Partly because of them, 24 babies and children were taken out of the temporary hospitals in New Orleans and brought up to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City. They're waiting to hear if they need to bring up any more. If you have any extra money to donate, please consider donating it here: http://www.childrens-mercy.org/crisis/

Thanks. The response not only on this site, but everywhere, has been uplifting.

Posted by: Danielle | September 3, 2005 10:29 AM

This is the perfect place to post this appeal from evacuees: They need shoes! After wading and standing in (bleeep) for days, their shoes had to be discarded. We are trying to shoe everyone, but some are actually barefoot. Please donate shoes!
p.s., not your cute ones - send the serviceable kind.
Thanks.
Daffy

Posted by: daffythedachshund | September 3, 2005 12:37 PM

just donated to the Red Cross. those are some scary beach crime scene photos for reals, and I'm with you--there definitely had to be old-time shipwreck bones in there somewhere. Thanks for your good work!

Posted by: m-fo | September 3, 2005 02:32 PM

I'm in - made a donation to the Red Cross. I would have donated anyway, but this is an added incentive.

Also, beach pictures? Scary.

Posted by: SpaceCase | September 3, 2005 04:39 PM

Donated to Noah's Wish just now, heading for Red Cross volunteer training tomorrow. And I DO want the painting, I'm not ashamed to say it ;)

Posted by: Jackie | September 3, 2005 04:59 PM

I donated today! To the Red Cross. There's really no words to talk about all of this. *shudder*

Posted by: DrKate | September 3, 2005 06:51 PM

I think I'd need to see a photo (not nude!) before I started any fan club - not that I'm that concerned about appearances, but with a nickname such as "Keifer Twin"? C'mon, I've got to see!

Anyway, made another donation to America's Second Harvest. Also, a good website for donating is networkforgood.org as they list a bunch of different organizations. My weekly radio show just played the interview with the Mayor of New Orleans from two days ago, where he was basically begging for any sort of help. I had to stop listening before it broke my heart.

Posted by: Alya | September 3, 2005 09:13 PM

I donated to the Red Cross yesterday AND today. Those beach pictures are a bit terrifying.

Posted by: JenE | September 3, 2005 09:22 PM

Who would go on vacation to a beach trashed by a hurricane? Oh, of course, Miss Doxie! Who will make us all laugh even though our hearts ache.

We donated to the Red Cross through a foundation which will half-match our donation.

Posted by: Citations | September 4, 2005 09:45 AM

Glad to hear you're safe! I made my donation Thursday - for the pets. :)

Posted by: Littlehoney | September 5, 2005 01:35 AM

Just donated to the RC - thanks for the encouragement, you're bleedin' rapid (as we say here in Dublin).

Posted by: Lisa | September 5, 2005 07:42 AM

I donated to Noah's Wish and Second Harvest, actually before I knew about your raffle. But I can't pass up a chance to win a Miss Doxie painting!

Posted by: bad penguin | September 5, 2005 02:15 PM

I donated through Amazon after getting e-mails from lots of the lists I'm on. Can't take the peer pressure! Just kidding. If your paintings are as "interesting" as your posts, bring it on! :)

Posted by: Tiffany | September 5, 2005 07:31 PM

Mah, I donated several times. There are donation sites everywhere :)

Posted by: Dani McDowell | September 6, 2005 12:06 AM

Donated and linked. Thanks Leigh! Glad you guys are doing ok.

Posted by: suzanna danna | September 6, 2005 08:40 AM

Currently made a donation to the Red Cross, and am now researching a donation to the SPCA or Humane Society ... because the stories of the pets that people had to leave behind is making me truly heartsick.

Glad to hear that you and your family are okay!

Posted by: Kirsten | September 6, 2005 09:28 AM

I donated this weekend at Gymboree (they add your donation onto the bill) and also at K-mart (they do the same thing).

Please pick me for a piece of artwork. I own none and would love a Doxie original!

Posted by: Miss | September 6, 2005 10:55 AM

the donation of choice for lit dorks like me is www.readertoreader.com. they aupply books to underprivileged schools and libraries all over the country, including many of the communities that were destroyed last week, so now they've gotta re-supply. don't let southern bookworms of the future suffer!

also, hi!