« All This Can be Yours, For Only $275 A Night! | Main | Reality Seems To Have Sunk In Around 12:57 p.m. »

Sometimes Change Is Good

April 26, 2005

Okay, so. Bet you wonder where I went and ran off to!

Well.

Okay, see, there was this thing? And then there was this other thing, and the net result of all of these things, and all of the SHEER PANIC and TERROR inspired by these things, and then, there was this:

I'm switching law firms.

Oh, wait. That's not...interesting? Oh. Um, you're totally right!

Except, this is a Big Deal in the Doxie world, a Deal So Big it involved champagne toasts and the ordering of a celebratory pizza, and Dukay bringing me a dozen roses, and phone calls and shrieking and excessive amounts of Professional Restrained Hugging. Because I am officially moving to work at my father's law firm, something I have wanted to do since I graduated law school, and Y'ALL. I know, it's nerdy, but it's a big deal to me.

And I have never written about my job before, and am only doing so now because of the aforementioned champagne (THANKS A LOT, BOOZE), and it is one thirty on a school night, but I do have to say that I am so excited to be working with my dad, y'all don't even know. I adore my dad. He is brilliant, and every day when I work with him, I plan on bringing him one Hershey's bar with almonds, because those are his favorite.

Aw. Look at me, getting all sentimental. You know, all this fuzzy sentimantality will disappear REALLY FUCKING FAST, THOUGH, when I have to actually...move. Then I will say things like, "This may be the worst idea in the history of mankind. Why can't I just keep all my shit in my car? A LOT of people work out of their cars. Like ice cream men, for example. I shall be a mobile lawyer! Leave me be, with my glove compartment and tape deck!"

(Because I do have a tape deck in my car. Still. My car is old enough to be your mother. But! I digress.)

So, that's where I've been. And also I bought a bright blue coffee table. IT NEVER STOPS GETTING INTERESTING AROUND HERE, PEOPLE.

But...I don't know. I'm so excited, y'all. And I just wanted you to know. Even though it ain't funny (and THE FUNNY IS COMING, I SWEAR, because we still have to talk about The Thing With The Bug), it's a big deal to me.

And I thank y'all for sticking around.

P.S. (The next morning) (While sober) (Hello): Heeeeee. Y'all, we had some chamPAGNE last night. Dig and Timmy and Dukay and I were REALLY not kidding around with the champagne and the celebrating. But in trying to capture our general jubilation in this entry, I failed to be particularly clear, and so now I just want to let y'all know that I am not having to move cities. My dad's firm is also in Atlanta, so the only thing that has to move is (are?) the contents of my current office. Which includes a trillion pictures, nineteen coffee mugs, forty bazillion books, and one long, pink boa fashioned from yarn. Which...uh, I don't know why it's here, either. Because all employment lawyers need boas? I'm just guessing.

But anyway. Not moving! So don't y'all worry. And thanks for all of the nice thoughts; y'all are all gorgeous, and happy, hungover kisses to everyone!

Congratulations! Can't you tell us more about the new job? Because I think that's far from uninteresting. Are you moving far? Like, out of town? Out of state? Because there's moving, and there's Moving, you know.

Posted by: Corbin | April 26, 2005 01:35 AM

Congratulations! I hope you are not moving so far that El Dukay cannot still be yours for $275 a night!

Working for your dad (have done it) can be interesting in so far as the insights into a side of their personality you never knew!

Posted by: jennifer | April 26, 2005 03:46 AM

Congratulations!!!

Posted by: j | April 26, 2005 07:17 AM

All that nice talk about your Dad. Now admit it. He's reading this, isn't he? :D

Congrats on the new job!

Posted by: Jon in Michigan | April 26, 2005 07:59 AM

It's just like Alicia Silverstone working with Ryan O'Neal on "Miss Match"! How fabulous! Now you just have to pick up a completely inappropriate and bizarre side-job and you too can be a TV star!

Seriously though, congratulations! It sounds wonderful. Good luck with the move!

Posted by: Julie | April 26, 2005 08:20 AM

Congrats, Doxie. I think you are so funny and pretty and nice. Which has nothing to do with anything, I just felt like sucking up.

AAAAAND! I have a bright blue coffee table too! We are best friends! La la la. (time to cut back on the coffee perhaps? Hmm.)

Posted by: Em | April 26, 2005 08:29 AM

COngrats!!!!
What type of law do you pratice?

Posted by: jonelle | April 26, 2005 08:41 AM

Can I just say? It is just so incredibly sweet that your "dream job" is going to work at your dad's law firm. Congratulations!

Also, if your car wears too much makeup and nags you endlessly, it probably IS my mother.

Posted by: LadyBug | April 26, 2005 08:42 AM

Congrats!

Posted by: Morgan | April 26, 2005 09:10 AM

Congratulations, Doxie. How fun to work with your Dad!

Posted by: Joanna | April 26, 2005 09:30 AM

Congrats on the new job!

Posted by: Bond Girl | April 26, 2005 10:08 AM

Congrats on the big job change! I work with my mother, and I'm having a painfully difficult time understanding why someone would *want* to work with a parent. To each her own, I suppose. Best of luck!

Posted by: Molly | April 26, 2005 11:17 AM

Congrats! And the things you said about your dad were just beautiful.

Posted by: Brighton | April 26, 2005 12:04 PM

Congratulations!

Posted by: Fraulein N | April 26, 2005 12:48 PM

Congrats on the new job!! Maybe one day I can work for you guys as well, altough I would need to finish law school and that would be a huge move for me.

Posted by: smartjuice | April 26, 2005 01:26 PM

Yay for you! Hoo boy, I am glad someone can work with her dad and not want to take a bamboo skewer and stick it in her left ear. I almost did this one day when pater changed his mind seventeen times about the priority order of the to-do list. I couldn't have killed him, cuz he's dad and all, so it was quit or maim myself. We didn't have insurance that covered self-inflicted maiming, or the resultant psych bills, so I entered the wonderful world of retail clothing instead.

Sometimes I think I should have gone the bamboo route, except now I'm a curriculum writer and other things and it's all good. And thankfully I like dad much better from 100 miles away.

Posted by: Miss Fish | April 26, 2005 04:48 PM

Okay, I finally caught up. That's what I get for going on a business trip yesterday. I got your email and was all "WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MAH DOXIE'S MIND!"

And now I know. So, woooo! Congrats, kiddo!

Posted by: Coleen | April 27, 2005 09:24 AM