« Sometimes Change Is Good | Main | Still! Sinking! In! »

Reality Seems To Have Sunk In Around 12:57 p.m.

April 26, 2005

Y'ALL.

I just quit my job.

I may just update nine hundred times today. And every update will say something like, "AAAHHHH I JUST RESIGNED FROM MY JOB IT WAS A PERFECTLY GOOD JOB THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY JOB AND YET I QUIT IT."

I've never resigned from a job before! I feel like I should go up to everyone here and be all, "Listen, it's not you, it's me. You're too good for me, really. You'll find someone else, someone who can appreciate you more. Seriously. Can we still be friends?"

And then I remember that I never dated my job, so maybe that response isn't appropriate.

But still. Just so you know: I quit! And I'm taking the fancy stapler with me.

It is always good to hold on to a good stapler. They just don't make them heavy like they used to. Changing jobs is a big deal and very scary, but exciting too! And, you will have your stapler to keep you company. I brought mine with me when I left my old job 9 months ago and I certainly haven't regretted the stapler bogarting or the job change. Good luck!

Posted by: Morgan | April 26, 2005 12:27 PM

When I left my last job, I didn't think through my departure day before it happened - let's just say I got a little overzealous in the hugging department as I was leaving and some people just couldn't deal with it. Its a little awkward when you go to hug your boss and she tries to get out of it but you've already got your arms part way around her and oh! I'm blushing like it just happened yesterday.

Anyways. Good luck!

Posted by: Hambone | April 26, 2005 12:32 PM

BUT! You're going to be working with your dad! Whom you adore! So don't panic, even though you'd have to be a robot not to be scared shitless right now!

Posted by: Sheryl | April 26, 2005 12:46 PM

It's exciting to quit a job. It feels POWERFUL in a world where we don't get that much control a lot of the time.

Anyway, GOOD FOR YOU. It seems like it will be a good move for you and it was the right choice for you to make.

Now, go load up on pens!

Posted by: Em | April 26, 2005 01:12 PM

Yay! So when you say your father's law firm, do you mean Doxie and Doxie, a Professional Limited Liability Company, or do you mean Giant Law Firm at Which Doxie-Dad Also Works, PC?

Posted by: laura | April 26, 2005 01:24 PM

You should definitely take the fancy stapler. Especially if it's a Red Swingline.

But don't be surprised if you get a call a few months down the road from somebody who believes that you have their stapler.

Posted by: msmack | April 26, 2005 02:30 PM

This will free you up for more fun, yes? YAY!

Posted by: Keli | April 26, 2005 04:15 PM

Congratulations Doxie! That's fantastic news! Change is good! Changing firms is great. New people, new work....it's all good. I've been looking around myself at what's available in my neck of the woods.

I too now though am curious as to whether you you will be joining a small firm like Doxie & Doxie LLP or a ginormous firm in which Doxie Dad works....don't realy need to know the details...just curious about the Doxie..:)

Posted by: wn | April 26, 2005 05:27 PM

Miss Doxie you are not going to believe this. You and me? First, we almost share a birthday. And also? We almost share a quitting our job day. I just quit my job too and I also am going to be taking my dream job. No joke. However, I don't get to work with my Dad but instead a really good friend who might have been my Dad in a former life or something. No really. SO EXCITED for you (and me!). And also dreading the moving. I know.

Posted by: Melinda | April 27, 2005 11:26 AM

Whoa, see what I miss when I don't check for updates? You need a new Notify, you do. Don't worry about switching firms -- after 20+ years in the law firm environment I can say they are all great, and they all suck, each in its own special way. But working with your dad sounds cool.

Don't worry about leaving your current firm. Logistically, it's a pain in the a$$, but look at it as a chance to redecorate and also to create buried treasure. Last week I dug through a box of crap I carried over here in 1997 from the last law firm I worked for and never bothered to unpack. And suddenly? Not crap, treasure. Yippee and good luck!

Posted by: Gretchen C. | April 27, 2005 11:49 AM

Congratulations, Leigh! I hope it ends up being a wonderful move for you. Moving firms is so stressful, but it's not like you won't know anybody at the new place. ;)

Posted by: Martha | April 27, 2005 01:55 PM

You are too good to us, I mean, the updates...look at all the updates!
The stapler thing reminded me of office space - poor Milton.

btw - ketchup procreates in desk drawers as well, be on the look out.

congrats!!!